Mr Whitemans Digger Graveyard

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Mr Whitemans Digger Graveyard

Post #1 by newjcb123uk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:44 am

Heres a place to visit (without the wife) It's James whitemans digger breaking yard and he's been at it for nearly 30 years so you can imagine what tresures he has hidden away. The good thing is that he's based in a quarry so the machines don't get lost in a mass of weeds and grass over the years. I've got some parts off him including a minter of a cab for my 580B Hymac. James lives on site and is quite a character 8-) and has a passion for Hymacs. whenever I visit it's hard not to spend at least two hours sight seeing and chatting about the diggers of yesteryear. I had a notion once to go to his yard and make a nearly new machine out of lots of different machines that are being broken up - a yellowygreen frankinstine monster - would make better telly than scrapheap challange ea?

James knows every model made and every part in them - pity he wouldn't write a book of predictions :geek:

The yard is massive about 20 acres and he has an aircraft hanger full of engines, transmissions and pumps - it's soo messy but he knows were every part is - Prices can shock :insomnia: - but needs must :mrgreen: James has another passion too - helicopter flying - ive seen it and the size of it would embarrass the Bamfords :o

If you ever get the chane to visit Spa in Co Down it's a must - a hot spud and cup of tea await you> :)[*]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Mr Whitemans Digger Graveyard

Post #2 by John Gaunt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:20 am

What a fantastic place, and there was me thinking that the great digger graveyard was in the sky, not so close to home in the 'Emerald Isle' !
Great pictures.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:14 pm

Fantastic pictures Chris :thumbs_up: good job I don't live over there cos I'd be round there every five minutes :D

Good job I don't have loads of spare money or time else I'd be buying me a project :mrgreen:

Keep em coming

Jeremy

jcb3cMk3
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by jcb3cMk3 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:52 pm

Hello Chris,

Are you okay to publish Mr Whitemans contact details?

I'm currently looking for a replacement cab for my JCB 3C MK3 project.

Cheers

Philip

Nick Drew

Post #5 by Nick Drew » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:54 pm

Yeh Cracking Photos :thumbs_up:

What a fantastic place to visit :o Would love to get over there some day!!

Please post more top pics Chris ;)

I am sure also that our New Member Steelfab (Julian) will be interested in one of those photos :D

Nick :mrgreen:

Steelfab

Post #6 by Steelfab » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:23 am

Hi Chirs, where was the picture of the Steelfab taken? Was it at Whitemans yard?

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:53 am

The steel fab would not win a prize in a beauty contest but then again nor would I. What skid unit is it based on? Nuffield?

Topic author
newjcb123uk

Post #8 by newjcb123uk » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Steelfab wrote:Hi Chirs, where was the picture of the Steelfab taken? Was it at Whitemans yard?

Afraid not Julian - This is the same machine we saw in a lesser state a few months after that photo was taken at that guys farm not far from James whitemans yard. I've started to finally prepare my own Hymacs 580D 580BT 370C and also my JCB 3Cmk111 and JCB 806 for final restorations. Most should be shotblasted and resprayed before the end of this year (at last) :roll: I had serious intentions to pick that Steelfab up to add it to my collection but at present my priority is to finish what I've started. :)

I'm going to take a trip to whitemans again soon as in the winter the nettles and grass are gone and a lot more can be seen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

Renaultman

Post #9 by Renaultman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:34 pm

Dam thats an amazing place.

jcbjohn

Post #10 by jcbjohn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi chris, did you notice any LOADALL 65's or MK1 lying up there ? Looking for parts for them both. That place reminds me of NELSON GREENS place, full airfield full of gear and if he takes to you he will let you have a rake around. Last time I was there he showed me in a shed which had 2x MF 50B's and a CASE 580C all with just delivery hours on. He said there were export orders that fell thru and then got overlooked, when I asked if he would sell them he replied, if he was offered the right money, if not it does not matter because I like to look at them. Another friend of mine claims to have been shown some FORD 4000 tractors of the same condition. After that he took me to some more sheds where there was @ 200 restored vintage tractors, these were not for sale as they were his late fathers collection. If anyone is passing kirkby underwood near bourne it's well worth a visit. :thumbup:

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”