Manitou MB25C Accumulator

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
maxmb25

Manitou MB25C Accumulator

Post #1 by maxmb25 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi all, wonder if someone can help with some info.

I've got an MB25C Rough Terrain Forklift Circa 1978 with International engine still working everyday and starts first time
I have a problem with the Hydraulic Accumulator fitted beneath the offside rear axle
Its badly leaking Hydraulic fluid around the seam where the two halves of the spheres screw together .(currently has bucket tied underneath) Ive tried unscrewing the two halves to investigate but no chance no budge so dont know if its a diaphragm or a bladder
My understanding is that the Accumulator acts as a kind of Shock Absorber within the Hydraulic system and also as a pressure boost to the system under certain circumstances

Chap at local Hydraulics workshop says maybe blank it off as they are not usually fitted on forklifts but I think its because it is ROUGH TERRAIN lots of bumpy bits so lots of bangs and shocks so dont really want to blank it off as it wasnt just put there by our French friends to look pretty
He says he can get a replacement off another company for about £175 but would need to know the gas pressure it works under but no-one seems to know what it is for this model
SO
What is the gas pressure for this model
Is it a bladder or a diaphragm type
Is it really necessary

mANITOU havent bothered to reply to my query so can anyone help ?? :dizzy:
1959 Fergie TE Diesel-1978 Manitou MB25C-1995 Diesel Range Rover-2001 Volvo EC15

Robban_C

Re: Manitou MB25C Accumulator

Post #2 by Robban_C » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:02 pm

I think that some gas accumulators can be pre-charged with "lots" of pressure and then you can release pressure until it works as expected.
Some accumulators can have the pressure "recharged" by a hydraulics shop if you release to much pressure.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Topic author
maxmb25

Post #3 by maxmb25 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks for info that would certainly make sense. I think there's abit of "Health and Safety liabilty paranoia" going on at local hydraulic shop's suppliers as they are very reluctant to charge a replacement with "lots" of pressure, insisting on knowing design pressure for specific machine.
I'll have to keep hassling Manitou until they deign to reply !!
1959 Fergie TE Diesel-1978 Manitou MB25C-1995 Diesel Range Rover-2001 Volvo EC15

innes
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by innes » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:23 pm

maxmb25 wrote:Thanks for info that would certainly make sense. I think there's abit of "Health and Safety liabilty paranoia" going on at local hydraulic shop's suppliers as they are very reluctant to charge a replacement with "lots" of pressure, insisting on knowing design pressure for specific machine.
I'll have to keep hassling Manitou until they deign to reply !!

Dont agree that this makes sense,it is at the best bad engineering practise and at the worst dangerous! accumulators like any other hydraulic component are designed to withstand a given pressure and if this is exceeded then they could rupture or explode, they are usually charged with nitrogen and some have the max pressure stamped into the body.Accumulators have no releif valve untill they are installed into a hydraulic circuit,I have charged and changed many of these components as a OEM service engineer and I understand the hyd shops reluctance to give it "lots of pressure" how much is this? I have little time for H&S liability paranoia but perhaps the hyd people should have better explained the implications of your request.
Hope you get the info from Manitou and good luck

Topic author
maxmb25

Post #5 by maxmb25 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for that AM , I will continue my quest for a solution and in the mean time buy another drum of hydraulic fluid.

Return to “Tech Talk”