Ford/Whitlock backhoe on YouTube

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Ford/Whitlock backhoe on YouTube

Post #1 by Gavin Phillips » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:35 pm

As always, I was looking for any new Hymac footage and this little beauty turned up, looks in very good condition although I'm not sure what model number we're looking at here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0YYB85MRtk

At a slightly educated guess, this machine would pre-date the 270/370/570 range as these machines lack the curious feature on the backhoe arm that the earlier models all have; I wish I could find a picture to explain what I mean! It would appear that its a fixture used in combination of a ram to raise and lower the digging arm... :dizzy: Anyway, the older models (bar the 405) have it whilst the last models which were incorporated into Hymac's product line don't.

I vaguely recall International/IH having a similar design kicking around as an attachment for industrial tractors.

Best regards

Gavin
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Ford/Whitlock backhoe on YouTube

Post #2 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d76uDokOOJQ Here's a remarkably tidy MF 50B.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

XS650

Post #3 by XS650 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:36 am

Think the Whitlock is a 505 , quite advanced for time with droop snoot bonnet to see loader, parallel linkage loader arms , full side shift .
I wonder if Whitlock had too big a range of bachoe loaders in the 60s which perhaps led to their demise?
Whitlocks must have been popular in Germany as machines and brochures often turn up there on ebay etc.
International marketed backhoe loaders with a Whitlock backhoe attached as their own product.
Whitlock also used International tractors as base units for their smaller 105 models , badged as Whitlocks .
If you see what I mean!
Craig
505.jpg

International 2276a.JPG

105 ORANGE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Post #4 by Gavin Phillips » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:19 am

XS650 wrote:Think the Whitlock is a 505 , quite advanced for time with droop snoot bonnet to see loader, parallel linkage loader arms , full side shift .
I wonder if Whitlock had too big a range of bachoe loaders in the 60s which perhaps led to their demise?
Whitlocks must have been popular in Germany as machines and brochures often turn up there on ebay etc.
International marketed backhoe loaders with a Whitlock backhoe attached as their own product.
Whitlock also used International tractors as base units for their smaller 105 models , badged as Whitlocks .
If you see what I mean!
Craig

Whitlock certainly had quite a cramped range of backhoes running from the 105 to the 605 so perhaps there is something in that it didn't do them many favours producing so many models? Incidentally the only pictures I've seen of a 605 Whitlock were taken at a farm in Germany.

Interesting note about the International involvement, I'll try and snap up that attachment brochure if I see another one. :lol:

Everytime I see that 105 MkII, all I can think of is a greenhouse...! Sure enough the operators view must have been great while digging but I wouldn't fancy going for a roll in that machine!

Best regards

Gavin

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:35 am

It is odd and it has been commented on before that Whitlock had so many models and quite different in layout. Some of their features were potentially very good/up to date.

XS650

Post #6 by XS650 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Yes maybe if they'd just concentrated their best features on a small range of models , suppose range was slimmed on the Hymac takover , but did they have the best features?
Craig

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Post #7 by Gavin Phillips » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:36 am

XS650 wrote:Yes maybe if they'd just concentrated their best features on a small range of models , suppose range was slimmed on the Hymac takover , but did they have the best features?
Craig

Well, it would appear they (Hymac) had the range quite well planned. In theory, the 270 would be used in the same kind of operations where you'd expect to see the smaller JCB's (2, 3). The 370 was more of the "conventional size" for most applications and the 570 possibly for engineering projects (more of a JCB 4/4c rival) or bulk earthmoving where larger loads and deeper holes are expected.

A common complaint concerning the 370C was that its 2wd only, would a 4wd version not have enhanced sales somewhat? When did JCB first release a 4wd backhoe (3CX I think)?

Best regards

Gavin

XS650

Post #8 by XS650 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Jcb 3CX 4x4 new in 1980 , Hymac backhoe loaders gone by then .
Heres a few small scans of a Whitlock 605 brochure -
605b.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!pgE7BcvkddwBOyq+Bn(eQ~~60_12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:20 pm

XS650 wrote:Yes maybe if they'd just concentrated their best features on a small range of models , suppose range was slimmed on the Hymac takover , but did they have the best features?
Craig

Parallel lift on loader, droop snoot for starters.

XS650

Post #10 by XS650 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:35 pm

'Hydra Slide' type Kingpost , less weight . Could probably make a nice machine with best features of the 60s Whitlock range !

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”