New poster, looking for JCB 3 info

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
kaos
Flag: Iceland

New poster, looking for JCB 3 info

Post #1 by kaos » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:53 pm

Hello everybody, :wave:

My brother and I are trying to get an old JCB into shape, and I came accross this forum when I was searching for information about it. I have already downloaded the manuals from the download section, for which many thanks, but, while they claim to cover the 3 series also, they seem to concentrate rather on the newer models (3c etc.)

So, this is what we know, or think we know about the machine:

- JCB 3 series. Seems to be confirmed by those pictures I've been able to find of 3's. Sloping grille and 'humpback' cab.
- Probably early 60's model.
- Ford or Fordson motor, as I understand it. Not BMC/Leyland.
- Mechanical steering with hydraulic assist, rather than the completely hydraulic system outlined in the workshop manual. Belt driven steering pump.
- Starter with mechanical engagement of the drive pinion (courtesy of a lever inside the cab) and a seperate contactor-only starter coil.
- Hydraulic controls seem to be the same that are explained in the operators manual.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures right now. Will snap some next weekend and add here. Haven't been able to find any maker plate yet, so serial number unknown.

If anyone here is familiar with these machines, we would be very grateful for any information. What we are looking for right now is primarily information about the power steering assist unit (a combination valve/ram), and location of the maker plate, but all info would be useful ;) .

--
Best regards,
Kári.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: New poster, looking for JCB 3 info

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi Kari
Your JCB is the model 3 or 3C probably early 60's which was based on the Fordson Power Major or Super Major skid unit. Someone here will be able to tell you which.
The power steering is probably the same as these tractors. I have resealed the rams in the past. If you are looking for parts for the Fordson skid unit you may find them with someone who deals with Fordson tractor spares. Try Agriline Products. www.agrilineproducts.com
I checked this out in my catalogue. I think they will suply new kit including ram, pump, reservoir and hoses for about £250 - 00.
Sorry I can't be more help.
Fred
Last edited by FOWLER MAN on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
kaos

Post #3 by kaos » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi Fred, and thanks for the reply.
I think this is definitely a model 3, and probably an early one. The operators manual has a picture of a model 3 with a different cab, and says it has a BMC engine. Also, I heard of an old 3C in the neighborhood and went and took a look at it last night. It has a different cab from ours and the BMC engine, but the same sloping grille and the same steering arrangement, except the ram has been switched over to the right hand side (it is on the left hand side in ours).
One question; what is a skid unit? The engine/transmission/rear axle combo?
The engine in ours is actually in quite good shape; it's details like the wheels falling apart from rust, and steering assist that doesn't, that we have to fix.
--
Best regards,
Kári.

FOWLER MAN

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Hello again
Yes the skid unit would include Ford/ Fordson engine transmission brakes rear axle etc.
Later Leyland engined models were based on the Nuffield tractor.

Fred

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:07 am

If you have specific Fordson questions you would not do better than to ask on here: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=ddf66a965d8124faf26533256c6f595a

I can't remember when the 3C was introduced but the Super Major came out in '61 and can be identified by dry disc brakes in the place of the drum brakes on the end of the bull shafts ahead of the main axle trumpet. You can also check the Ford casting codes which will give you a clue to the age.

Steelfab

Post #6 by Steelfab » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:47 pm

the power assisted steering ram was popular on backhoe loaders of that age and small commercial vehicles. From memory it was made by Hydrosteer. I had mine rebuilt by a company in Norfolk called Power Steering Services, Tel: 01692 406017. I have technical drawings of the unit on the JCB if you need it.

I have done a fair bit of reseach on all the JCB BHL's and summarised some information below

JCB 3 (1961-1980)

• To fill in the gap in the market left by the Hydra-Digger it was smaller than the JCB 4 aimed at house builds rather than the JCB 4’s civil engineering customers.
• Consisted of JCB ‘hydrachassis’ which was a welded steel box section frame containing fuel tank, hydraulic oil tank, front axle yolk, front shovel mounting frame and a rear mounting bracket and stabiliser legs.
• First time twin vertical stabilisers, a lower centre of gravity and the innovative ‘Hydra Slide’ kingpost, by slackening off four bolts the kingpost could be positioned anywhere along the 6ft 6in cross rail to enable the machine to dig tight up alongside walls or other obstructions.
• First JCB machine to have twin vertical stabilisers, demonstrating the creative thinking within JCB at the time.
• The excavator had two lever controls, while the bucket had one lever control.
• Included a side access cab as compared to the rear access cabs of the previous models.
• Had an innovative swivel seat to make swapping between excavator and forward position easier. The position of the seat also changed to the centre of the machine, unlike the earlier machines which had an offset seating position. This reiterates JCB’s commitment to operator comfort.
• Powered by the same 53.7hp Fordson tractor skid as the JCB 4, but was much smaller and lighter, and therefore much more manoeuvrable.
• The standard ½ cu yd general shovel was fitted
• Maximum dig depth of 13ft 4in and maximum load over height of 10ft 9in
• A 3S was a small compact loading shovel version was also available with a Torque Convertor priced at £2,085 ex works in 1963. A 3CS de-luxe version of the 3S had larger rams and pump producing greater tear-out force and lifting capacity. Redesigned shovel arms giving better forward reach and visibility
• In 1964 a change was made to a three cylinder Nuffield skid unit.
• 1967 saw the launch of the JCB 3 Mk.II, which saw an engine change to a Leyland 70hp unit.
• 1970 saw the launch of the JCB 3 Mk.III. Changes included a side access sliding door.
• In 1962 JCB 3 cost £2,500 (including an optional cab).
• 7000 JCB 3’s were built.

FOWLER MAN

Post #7 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Kari
Check out edit to my earlier entry re.steering ram and pump.
Fred

Topic author
kaos

Post #8 by kaos » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:25 am

Thank you for your replies, all of you. This is very useful information and links.
I see I have been under a misapprehension about the JCB model numbering scheme. I thought that, for example, 3c was a later model than the plain 3, but in reality they were concurrent, with the 3c being a different variant, am I correct? That would also explain why the manuals don't have information about some aspects of the old model 3; they simply apply to a later model year. (Yes, I'm a complete JCB noob, how'd you know?)

Your JCB is the model 3 or 3C probably early 60's which was based on the Fordson Power Major or Super Major skid unit. Someone here will be able to tell you which.
The power steering is probably the same as these tractors. I have resealed the rams in the past. If you are looking for parts for the Fordson skid unit you may find them with someone who deals with Fordson tractor spares. Try Agriline Products. www.agrilineproducts.com
I checked this out in my catalogue. I think they will suply new kit including ram, pump, reservoir and hoses for about £250 - 00.

Yes, seems to be a Super Major, see below. Thanks for that link, it will be useful. And yes, that certainly seems to be the same pump and ram as used by the JCB, except the Super Major pump has an attached reservoir while the JCB uses the same fluid as the main hydraulics, but i guess it could be easily adapted.

If you have specific Fordson questions you would not do better than to ask on here: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=ddf66a965d8124faf26533256c6f595

Thank you. That's another very useful link. From the manuals they have available, it seems that the skid in the JCB is from a Super Major. It has the exact same controls (instrument panel, starting lever, gear levers).

the power assisted steering ram was popular on backhoe loaders of that age and small commercial vehicles. From memory it was made by Hydrosteer. I had mine rebuilt by a company in Norfolk called Power Steering Services, Tel: 01692 406017. I have technical drawings of the unit on the JCB if you need it.

Yes, please, those would be very nice. Do you have them scanned, or on paper?

I have done a fair bit of reseach on all the JCB BHL's and summarised some information below

JCB 3 (1961-1980)

• To fill in the gap in the market left by the Hydra-Digger it was smaller than the JCB 4 aimed at house builds rather than the JCB 4’s civil engineering customers.
• Consisted of JCB ‘hydrachassis’ which was a welded steel box section frame containing fuel tank, hydraulic oil tank, front axle yolk, front shovel mounting frame and a rear mounting bracket and stabiliser legs.
• First time twin vertical stabilisers, a lower centre of gravity and the innovative ‘Hydra Slide’ kingpost, by slackening off four bolts the kingpost could be positioned anywhere along the 6ft 6in cross rail to enable the machine to dig tight up alongside walls or other obstructions.
• First JCB machine to have twin vertical stabilisers, demonstrating the creative thinking within JCB at the time.
• The excavator had two lever controls, while the bucket had one lever control.
• Included a side access cab as compared to the rear access cabs of the previous models.
• Had an innovative swivel seat to make swapping between excavator and forward position easier. The position of the seat also changed to the centre of the machine, unlike the earlier machines which had an offset seating position. This reiterates JCB’s commitment to operator comfort.