help my jake please 1st post

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
french phil

help my jake please 1st post

Post #1 by french phil » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:33 am

hello out there this my first post on this site only wish id found this earlier,some real good stuff on here well here goes this is my second attempt lost the first one after about one hours faffing about.
last september i managed after a lot of haggling to buy a jcb non runner a lot of people had bodged and buggered about for a long time the old girl had been a goer until it froze up a couple of winters back a cracked head was then welded but the sump filled with water.
thats when i stepped in a got it for 100 euros towed it home and costed out some parts done some research and found a second hand fordson major engine complete 200 squid a new sintered clutch plate 85 squid s/h rad hoses bits and bobs all in with a trip back to uk 500 so not the end of the world if it all went belly up.
the motors in after a lot of grunting and swearing flywheel skimmed and it drives !!!so next is to tart up the paintwork and build a new cabin
can anyone help with identifying the model on the tin plate its got c 37497/12/63
c 37515/12/63 what does this mean was it used soley in france or was it reg in the uk first any help would be appreciated ill write again soon .
oh i found the original ign switch in a box by foot step cleaned repaired and is working a treat along with stripped and repaired regulator i love these old vehicles where at least you can repair most things yourself without the aid of a laptop !!!!!!!!!!
cheers phil will post a picture soon it says 3c onthe back actor

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: help my jake please 1st post

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:43 am

Greetings Phil and welcome to CMN :thumbup:

Sounds like you have dec 1963 JCB 3C mk1 .. does it have only access to cab through the back window ?

Martyn :thumbup:

Topic author
french phil

Post #3 by french phil » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:54 am

hi there thanks for the reply theres access up two steps over wheel and the was aback window that flipped up on springs this sadly is all to rotten to repair so im currently looking to put a roll bar in and build a cabin from ply all the glass is ok as well. cheers phil

Topic author
french phil

Post #4 by french phil » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:59 pm

hi all finally foud out how to get pics on here ,anyone else living in france want to get in contact for an exchange of ideas.as you can see from the pics its not pretty but all the hydraulics work ill take a few more now the new motors in
cheers phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martyn Henley

Post #5 by Martyn Henley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 am

Great pictures Phil ... yes indeed looks a bit neglected .. shame about the nearside rear wheel rim is not original
and thank you for showing your pictures

Martyn

Topic author
french phil

Post #6 by french phil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:47 pm

:wave: hi all just a quick update on the re build well the engine is in and with the help of a new battery it fired up and its moved further down the drive outside my workshop ,the next thing to tackle was the very rusty cab after detaching it and getting the other half to help me get on the ground sevral days of pondering the alternatives went by .i did think of lashing together a wooden cab with a roll hoop inside ,but after carefull inspection and thought i ve gone for a rebuild of the original cab when you get it to pieces its quite simple construction so any rotten bit can be cut out made up and miged back in so for the past week ive been covered in rust dust and a yellow haze after sanding down the entire cab now heres where i need a bit of help the rubber gasket that holds the glass in does anyone know of the cheapest place to get about 15 meters and a phone number if poss.im going to take some pics tomorow and post them of the re furbed cab in primer .
see you next time
phil

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:51 pm

Good project!

When did the cab change to side entry Martyn?

Martyn Henley

Post #8 by Martyn Henley » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:56 pm

JCB cabs always rust ..well most of them do, but it would be good if you can re make the cab as it is Phil ... and Pete, i believe it was around 1965 ,they put a side door in,but our one here is 63 so that could be wrong, they updated the JCB 3 at the same time

Martyn

Topic author
french phil

Post #9 by french phil » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 am

hi all :wave: sorry not to have kept you up to speed but been very busy here, jake kept me busy for a long time last winter but ive been using it loads on the farm and this year im going to build a lean to hanger for the jake, my grey fergie and now i think soon an owner of a rescue dumper that need retoring? i had to make a bonnet ,side door etc so i know its not as original but they do the job ,only had one burst hose so far touch wood but they all look a bit dogy but ill do them as and when ,your reactions will be appreciated a lot of swearing went into this
cheers phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XS650

Post #10 by XS650 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:13 am

It's looking good , must be great to have space for a project like this , being a purist i would have not gone for the 1970s style white cab though :)
Not all those who wander are lost.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”