Difference between JCB 3C III contols and ISO/SAE

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Drott TD6
Flag: Ireland

Difference between JCB 3C III contols and ISO/SAE

Post #1 by Drott TD6 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:00 pm

I'd like to know the difference between the ISO back-actor control lever pattern, the SAE pattern and the JCB 3C III pattern. I have just bought the JCB but haven't picked it up yet so can't have a play. In the brief go I had I always seemed to be doing two things at once i.e. curling the bucket and moving the dipper (right hand) or swinging the arm and raising it at the same time (left hand). I could only find references to ISO and SAE on t'internet

From Wikipedia
SAE control pattern, the left hand controls swing (left-right) and dipper (in-out), and the right hand controls the boom (up-down) and bucket (curl-uncurl).
* Left hand left = swing left.
* Left hand right = swing right.
* Left hand forward = dipper out away from operator.
* Left hand back = dipper in toward operator.

* Right hand left = bucket curl.
* Right hand right = bucket uncurl.
* Right hand forward = boom down.
* Right hand = boom up.
ISO controls differ from the SAE control pattern only in that ISO controls exchange the hands that control the boom and the dipper.

Also, how does the boom side shift operate? is there a way of unclamping it from the cab and do you then push the kingpost across by moving the bucket?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I want to get a head start on operating the thing :insomnia:

IANOZ

Re: Difference between JCB 3C III contols and ISO/SAE

Post #2 by IANOZ » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:25 am

Hi Drott td6, Don't know a lot about the older model jcb's apart from the fact that the pattern works on a 45 degree angle not square. There stould be a side shift release in the cab if its hydralic lock. I aways release the pressure then put the bucket on the ground and lift a little weight off the hoe before then using the bucket to push the hoe accross. You can pull it accross but it isn't as easy as pushing. I Put the hoe back square again before locking the side shift ,then roll the bucket round and pressurize the locks The Diagonal pattern never felt natural to me. The early 3cx's you could undo a bolt and move the lever round to get a square pattern. ian.

Topic author
Drott TD6

Post #3 by Drott TD6 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:08 am

Thanks, that makes sense, as I was moving the levers forward/back & left/right I would have been operating two motions at once. :dizzy:

IANOZ

Post #4 by IANOZ » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi drott td6, I got a 3cx new with a council back in about 1983. Having operated massey 50B with the straight pattern it had me buggered trying to operate the 3cx. We had got two new machines and both of us had trouble comming to terms with them.When the fitter came up to give it its 50 hour service he then changed the levers for me, all it took was a 9/16 spanner to loosen the bolt and move it round square.It should have been changed in predelivery but wasn't. I got to pick which one i got to operate as the other operator was on his rostered day off :) So took both for a spin and chose the one with nice light steering and lots more get up and go along the road :thumbs_up: Never got round to telling johnny the other operator that i picked it and was not just allocated it :lol: Any way if the lever has a plate at the bottom of the lever with a single bolt on it its an easy fix ,but if it has like universal joints i guess you've got problems,but you may be able to get 3cx levers and change it but there is guys over there that would know a lot more about this than i doso hopefully some of them will get on here and help you out .All the best .ian.PS Have you got one of your namesakes or you just like them?

Topic author
Drott TD6

Post #5 by Drott TD6 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Ianoz, the username has turned out to be wishful thinking. :oops:
When i joined I was looking at getting a crawler loader to help tidy up the land I have just bought here in the UK. I wanted a Drott as they are the machines I used to love to watch working when I was growing up in the 60s.
There was an awful lot of demolition and motorway building going on back then and my earliest memories are of the building of the M4 motorway in Brentford, West London where I would watch the work while coming home from school (I must have been around 4 in '63), there was even a Priestman excavator showroom on the Great West Road to window shop at. There was always something being knocked down by fixing a chain to a Drott and pulling it over or ramming it with the bucket, no health and safety then :insomnia: , and I could always ingratiate myself with the driver by offering to get my mum to supply a kettle of hot water for tea.
Now I'm nearly 50, I looked at a few Drotts on eBay but my head started to rule my heart to the extent that I bought a JCB 3CIII as the back hoe and rubber tyres will make it a sight more practical at the moment, I'm going to give it a bit of restoration while using and, with luck, I'll get the Drott of my dreams by selling it on in a couple of years.

I'll post some pics when I finally take possession of it.

IANOZ

Post #6 by IANOZ » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:13 am

Hi Drott td6,Mate hopefully you will get to live the dream. From what i have seen on uk ebay,there seems to be some reasonable cheap machines come up on there. There was a trackmarshall drott that i would have loved to add to the 2 trackmarshall 55's and fowler vf that we have but i think the post and handling charges would have been out of my price range. If you have not operated a machine before ,with a little practise you should have it down pat in no time, just remember to be carefull and keep interested bystanders well clear of where you are working. Good luck with it all .ian.

micah

Post #7 by micah » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 am

i have a 3d mk111 with a 498nt engine i have to rebuild when i got it the head and exaust manf was missing, i have never ran it , i was wondering was makes the 3d 111 diff from the 3c 111 i live in the united stated in ohio, i gave 2,000.00 for it, i would also like to find a manual for it if anyone could help me out i am going to restore it , thanks all maybe some one could email them to me at fugly63@yahoo.com

IANOZ

Post #8 by IANOZ » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:26 am

HI Micah,Welcome to the forum .Usualy there are JCB experts every where on here that could tell you this sorta thing ,but they all must be on holidays or something.By my posting and bringing it up a freash hopefully some one will have a second look and be able to answer your questions. I am certanly not an expert but i think the motor will be a leyland diesel and i think a 3c 111 would be an earlier model and 3d 111 a later model with the 111 standing for mark 3 series being the third upgrade to the to the model.Martyn the moderator was a backhoe operator and now makes models of them ,so he should know about these things .MARTYN? . Anyway mate Good luck with your project .ian.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by Martyn Henley » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:38 am

i have a 3d mk111 with a 498nt engine i have to rebuild

Hi Micah... click on this link.

3d111

thank you Ian.

Martyn

IANOZ

Post #10 by IANOZ » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:03 pm

No worrys martyn, :thumbs_up: He is off on the right path now .ian.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”