Air locking 3CX - Leyland Engine

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
darklegend
Flag: Great Britain

Air locking 3CX - Leyland Engine

Post #1 by darklegend » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:48 am

Hoping for a simple solution here gents.

Was having various problems with my Leyland engined White Cab air locking up. I replaced fuel filters, drained and cleared the tank (full of horrible jelly substance) and finally replaced the lift pump that seemed to cure it. It,s come back though.

If you keep the revs up whilst working it it's fine, as soon as you drop,revs to move off or have left idling for a short time. Bang.. It stalls and needs bled. Spitting and frothing at the bleed screw on the injector pump.

I read in a different thread there may be an inline filter in the injection pump itself that can cause these symptoms if blocked. Does this sound plausible and where do i find it on an old Leyland engine?

Thanks in advance!

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Air locking 3CX - Leyland Engine

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:38 am

the fuel goes to jelly if the wax content is to high
In Australia we have summer and winter fuel and the wax content is about all that changes high wax content in the summer fuel so maybe you have some old summer fuel in there
If you changed the fuel the fuel thats left should desolve fairly quick and mix thru I would think

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by agrimax » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:50 am

A build up of water in the fuel will cause a jelly gunge too. Something to do with the addition of bio fuel in the diesel which absorbs water from condensation and the atmosphere.I think! We've seasonal diesel here too.
The gauze filter should be below where the inlet pipe goes into the inj pump. (It may have been discarded many years ago!) 1/2'' spanner to remove the olive nut and 15/16'' to remove the big retainer below it and a heavy duty spring. Filter sits around the regulating valve body. The filter can be removed with a hooked piece of wire but you need to avoid lifting the valve out as well as it's components usually drop back into the end plate body. If this happens,they must be fished out and reassembled in the correct order or the engine will not go.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Greg before you go for the more complex solutions double check your fuel line fittings from the tank to the injection pump, it may just be sucking air though one of these supply pipe connections.
You could confirm this by running it on a straight though feed to the tank or a gravity feed; if it runs okay in these conditions then you have a bad pipe connection somewhere in the system.

Jeremy

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”