Fiat 180B backhoe digger

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Dave.arthur
Flag: Great Britain

Fiat 180B backhoe digger

Post #1 by Dave.arthur » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Hello,
I'm putting this message up again because the first time I put it in the wrong section.
Secondly the subject 'Fiat 180B' has thrown a spanner in the works, so it's now a slightly different message anyway!
I have put down a small deposit on what is described as a Hymac wheeled digger. It looks in great nick, is 4w drive has 4 in 1 bucket etc. I decided to research the machine a bit further because it did not seem to match any pictures
I could find of Hymac diggers. I discovered.....(maybe)... it was a badged machine it looks like a 180c Fai Workmaster - but also a Moxy 180. And then I saw advertised as in the subject line above a 1991 'Fiat 180B' (is Fiat mistake for Fai?) which looks again an identical machine but very tatty.
My,worries are obtaining parts -the machine is £5400 inc vat. Cheap as far as diggers go, but it's enough to make my eyes smart if I cant get parts infact its a lot of money that I cant afford if parts are not available and I would prefer to loose my deposit.
....Advice (summary) so far, from well known parts company:
Probably a headache, dont buy!
Perkins engine, parts no problem. If it was a Fai/Komatsu no problem with any parts if I can identify them correctly. As its a Hymac you probably won't.
I was hoping an engineer familiar with the machine would know if badged Fai or Moxy (or Fiat 180B) are basically the same machine and therefore parts would be available from Komatsu who took over the Fia company and still manufacture machines.
A comparable JCB machine would be another few grand. Not being vat registered is the killer for me and pushes it out of my price range - so I would love to buy this machine. But I would also rather cut my losses if its not practical. I was advised to contact Mr. Gould the MD of Hymac Parts Ltd which I will do, but I cant guarantee he will be so kind to speak/reply to me by next Fridays deadline when I either buy it or bye bye it.
If you are an engineer, enthusiast or just have the experience - it would be much appreciated if you could spare the time to give me the benefit of your advice, .
Many Thanks, Dave.arthur

Topic author
Dave.arthur

Re: Fiat 180B backhoe digger

Post #2 by Dave.arthur » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:07 pm

I spoke with Richard Gould today and basically forgot all about a manual for the machine. It seems the differences between the Workmaster 180C and the Moxy 180B are very subtle. This would rule out my using the Moxy or Fiat 180B manual, it would have to be the Fai 180C workmaster.
He also said that the machines were very well made and it is their 'rarity' not build quality that results in his very few dealings with parts for the machine and nil for any large parts axle etc.
Also he believes parts are available in europe for this machine but price could be an issue for the lager parts. Ram seal kits etc are readily available. All that I will be using the machine for is to move horse muck. The only digging I will ever do is related to my drains and septic tank.
So hopefully very little!
In conclusion two like for like machines JCB 3cx and Workmaster 180C the 180c is 5 grand the JCB 10 grand I can understand the farmer going for the JCB - but for the workload I will give it, I think I will be buying it this week (5 grand one) and my son in law can use it to bury me in 20 years and then weigh it in!

topkit

Post #3 by topkit » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:49 pm

If you are not going to do much i would think that the Workmaster would be fine for what you want as long as the gearbox and engine are good and it goes backwards and forwards the other items ie service kits and hoses should be fine to obtain. If you are still worried about it i would keep looking for a mid 80's 3cx for about 5k they are around at that price but they dont hang around for long. Go with your gut feeling.

Topic author
Dave.arthur

Post #4 by Dave.arthur » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 am

Thanks for that advice. You are right, I am a bit worried about it, wish my head and gut were more in tandem! Got to make a decision this morning.

topkit

Post #5 by topkit » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:22 pm

Did you decide about the Fiat as we will want pictures if you got it !

Topic author
Dave.arthur

Post #6 by Dave.arthur » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Decided against it, but it was a really handsome machine for the money, here is a link to it

http://qftractors.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=77&product_id=873

But I'm so glad I did - I've bought a 1985 3cx 4 wheel drive. It will be delivered sometime next week.
I like the chap I bought it off, he seems a really genuine type of bloke. He also deals in used spares,
I hope I don't need any just yet. I am really happy I held out - got a v5 as well. If you want a picture
I will have to find a help section that shows how to post one... lol.

topkit

Post #7 by topkit » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:40 am

Just had a look at that link and it looked like a nice machine for £4500 not too dear although i wonder what the dealer paid for it!
Anyhow you have gone for a 3CX which is a good machine, i have a 2wd D reg one have a look at my posts they are about 6 below this one in the Loaders/backhoe section titled my new toy!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”