My Ford 550

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
crofter 65
Flag: Great Britain

My Ford 550

Post #1 by crofter 65 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to classic machinery Network forum although not new to old machinery, I have been involved in classic tractors for years and own three at the moment.
My latest acquisition is a late 1970'S Ford 550, this machine is in worn but running order, it needs new kingpins, no surprise there.
The one thing that concerns me is the torque convertor transmission, or to be exact the way it takes up drive, with the engine running at idle as soon as foreword or reverse is selected the machine starts to move, as I have no experience of this type of transmission I am not sure if it's ok or not I would have thought that it should need the revs to be raised slightly above idle for drive to be taken up.
Last edited by crofter 65 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Re: My Ford 550

Post #2 by TrevorJ » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:41 am

Welcome to the forum.

If oil is cold, the action could be a little different. "Starts to move" is a little subjective - but most converters on other machinery I've used usually creates some torque at idle.

Still you won't know if someone like the previous owner or seller has added a higher viscosity oil to "help" it move "better."

Possibly you might like to do some reading to find out more about your new acquisition - there is a manual "somewhere" for that model, here abouts ;)

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:34 am

Hi Ronnie welcome to CMN :wave:

Jeremy

Topic author
crofter 65

Post #4 by crofter 65 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi after spending yesterday playing with my Ford 550 I have got the machine to idle properly and now the torque converter works ok.
The side shift seems well jammed and wont shift even trying a power pack ram, is it possible to remove the clamping rams as I think they are sized. I have got a manual and parts CD which is of some use but its American and there seems to be some differences, I would like to find and buy a original UK operators instruction book if I can find one.
Another question is parts availability and where to buy them, in the past I have used Malpass online, but there stock seems limited, do Ford still support this age of machine?

agrimax

Post #5 by agrimax » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:26 pm

crofter 65 wrote: do Ford still support this age of machine?

The CNH parts website suggest they still cover pretty much everything but that may be more so for the American market?
I'm not familiar with the Ford clamping system but assume it to work similar to JCB. ie one feed hose in and each clamp connected in series afterwards? Did you try loosening the hydraulic pipe that feeds the first clamp to see if anything releases?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”