International B-414

Discuss tractors here

gionet331
Flag: Canada

Re: International B-414

Post #41 by gionet331 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:18 am

hi there i have a b414,and yesterday i went to fill up at a garage when i got there,i put down the blower,when finish,i got started and bring up the blower and it did not want to go up and the hydraulic pipe was geting very hard so when i got home i saw that the presure nozol was almost lock so i open it and everything was ok for my blower,it goes up and down.but after a wild i saw that the radiator was getting hot caus the antifreeze was comming out of it,so i stop it and took of the cap,and there was some oil in the radiator,i flush it got it clean and i start again.and it over heat again,so i stop it,and check the antifreeze again and there was some oil again,what could be the problem,could it be my hydraulic,or the headgasket, and it's a diesel.thank you.

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #42 by TrevorJ » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:51 am

Welcome to the forum.

You're right, oil in the water is more than likely due to the headgasket leaking - being hotter than usual probably means some of the combustion gas is also leaking out of the cylinder into the water channel as well.

gionet331
Flag: Canada

Post #43 by gionet331 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:39 am

thank you trevorJ i took it a part today and it was the headgasket it's crack a bit,by the way,when i took it a part i kind of drop the lifter and it came a part,only the midle one,does it matter if there are not at the same place.

TrevorJ

Post #44 by TrevorJ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 pm

So your lifter shaft slipped and fell apart - it happens.

I would have guessed, but from the parts catalog, I can see each lifter is the same (I'd also guess the valve and pushrod surfaces are diagonal from each other with no offset.)

If a different lifter isn't in the right spot, it'll mean a bit more care setting the valve gap, and you'll probably need to check it again after a few days work after the differing parts settled, just in case. Generally it's a good practice to mate each lifter with it's respective push rod as the surfaces are already mated.

PS, you could reference below if you ever get stuck :thumbsup:

IH B-414 parts catalogue

IH B275/B414/354/364/384/424/444/2424/2444 workshop manual

Case IH BC144/BD144A/BD154 engine service manual

bullybob

Post #45 by bullybob » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Can someone help me , my IH b414 high /low shifter is stuck I can not move it at all its like it is past Low

TrevorJ

Post #46 by TrevorJ » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's tricky when gear levers get "stuck" and it's always best to be gentle to avoid having to actually pull the top of the box off to remedy a bigger problem.

It's possible the shaft has simply slipped over past the point into an area which is tight and may in the end, only have needed a firmer hand to get it back.

It's only a few bolts to pull the top off for a look, but if you want to avoid the hassle for having to fool with a gasket if it has one; -- I would suggest park the tractor on some level ground if it isn't already, and with the tractor stopped, park brake off, and clutch petal tied down, put it in 4th and by hand rock the back wheel back and forth ... and every quarter minute, trying gently to move the hi low lever back into neutral. [of course if you've got a mate to help, they can push the clutch down and try to get the hi low into neutral while you rock it ... or visa versa. ]

Check out the links above if you haven't already, they could come in handy.

In the tropics which is where I'm at, these sort of things are usually a good excuse to pull the top off and make sure all the components are oiled and lubricated and not too much corrosion has set it on linkage shafts etc. [The corrosion is mostly due to the majority of oils used here encapsulate water, which is good / preferred for engines and gearboxes that have regular use, but with tractors that sit for long periods and aren't fully under a shed, the summer heat is enough to drive a bit of water vapour off to the unprotected components above the oil splash zone. IMO, straight gearbox oils don't have this problem as much, considering the few older tractors I've seen out in the bush for donkey years, generally have spanking new metal underneath cover plates. Maybe the metal was better back then :D ]

If rocking it doesn't work, I'd suggest pulling the top off to confirm which is stuck, the lever or the gear selector. Once you get things fixed, you'll need to manipulate the hi low gear selector in the actual gearbox to line up with the hi low lever when you place the top back on.

jbell1955

Post #47 by jbell1955 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:20 pm

I have downloaded the parts manual for the B-414. Does anyone have a copy of a service manual or know where I can get one.

Thanks

Jerry

TrevorJ

Post #48 by TrevorJ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:55 am

scubasteve

Post #49 by scubasteve » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:54 pm

hello guys scubasteve here. does anyone have a way of getting the sleeves out of a A414 with a BD154 engine block.
i have to rebuild my motor as i had no compression in one of the cylinders and everything was going great till i got to removing the cylinder sleeves any suggestions will be gratefully received.

TrevorJ

Post #50 by TrevorJ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Wet sleeves are typically removed with a liner puller.

If you're handy with grinders and a welder, you can easily make one up. If you or you have a friend with a lathe - machine a disc (just a whisker smaller than the outside sleeve diameter) that has a centering disc which snuggly fits into the bottom of the liner - rather than welding two different sized discs together. The rest of the puller is just threaded bar (5/8 is fine) and a top plate - steel or a piece of hard timber 3x2 with steel washer to pull from. A couple of bits of 3x2 make for good supports on top of the block.

Return to “Tractors”