International B-414

Discuss tractors here

ShawnR

Re: International B-414

Post #31 by ShawnR » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks for all of the input. I am not too concerned about moving the exhaust if that is the original. I thought that maybe some had moved it. Unless whatever hood (bonnet?) I end up with has a hole in it, I will leave it. It currently points to the back and ends about the middle.

I have started with pulling the rad. I gave it a good flush and will pressure test it before I put it back in. I don't see how it attaches though. It was sitting on some broken pieces of wood and I think only held in by the hoses that went to it. It looks like it might have had a bracket soldered to it at the bottom at one time but that bracket is absent. Perhaps there was a tray under it at one time......

Scott, could you take a couple of pictures of your rad mounting and send to me or post here please?

I am not even sure if the metal strapping that goes around the rad is original so I am not sure if a bonnet would fit. I am trying to locate a B414 locally that I could go look at for comparison on many issues. I found another lever (rod) near the floor, under the dash, that goes directly to the fuel injector pump. But that is different than the other one that, IIRC, is connected to the lever by the steering wheel.....I have a friend who is a diesel mechanic coming over so he will give me Diesels 101.

As to the PTO, yes, it was in neutral. I will take some more photos and post them but can't for a couple of days now. I found a local guy who is heavy into Internationals although bigger machines (working potato farm) and he was quite chatty. He also said he goes to auctions and shows so perhaps a hood will show up. No rush, I have lots of things to do first to determine if it is even salvagable.

I have treated some fasteners with penetrating oil. I have a service manual coming for it and have downloaded one so will plod through it. Looks like a lot of fun coming up....:-) I am time sharing now between projects in the house, some outside that need to be done before freeze up, and the tractor....all good..

Cheers,

ShawnR

Post #32 by ShawnR » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:04 am

OK, just found the "Parts Manual" in the download section.

It will be a huge help!! Thanks!

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #33 by TrevorJ » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:53 am

The rod you're describing is the pull stop while the other lever is the hand throttle that runs down the steering column.

The radiator strapping isn't likely to be very much thicker in design than the original, so ...

Most things are salvageable, it just depends on how much money you need or want to spend, how close to original you're aiming for and how much of your time and money is practicable to warrant on the project :D On hearing there was good water still in it as well as oil, the project looks fairly simple in finding or making panels, a few other items to tidy it up and a spot of painting. Possibly the very worst scenario you might come against, is you'll need to spit the tractor to replace a few bearings in the gearbox if it jumps out of gear regularly.

ShawnR

Post #34 by ShawnR » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:03 pm

I managed to get some time on little red last week. A friend who knows diesel engines guided me through some of it and we managed to get diesel to the injectors. We did tried half heartedly to try to start it but I was hesitant as I wanted to change the oil in case there was water in it. Yep! lots of water in oil pan! I drained all that and pulled the filter which had lots of sludge in it so I am now going to pull the oil pan and clean it right out. Hopefully the oil on top of the water in the pan kept the crank from rusting.

I downloaded an operators manual from "FarmManualsFast" today. I will start a thread on the site. Went well.

Buckley b414

Post #35 by Buckley b414 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:26 am

Shawn, My front end has been customized somewhat to add a Loader. I think is was a custom job. My radiator attached at three points. There are two carriage bolts that attach to keyholes in the bottom of the radiator and go into very heavy structure of the chassis. There is also a metal strap extending from the top of the motor to a bracket on the back top of the radiator. Mine is a gasoline motor so I don't know if it is the same for the diesels.
<http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr57566ar297568
The site above has a really good diagram.
I will see if I can get some pics and have my daughter help me attach them. Even an old Boeing engineer isn't as tech savvy as I would like :oops:

ShawnR

Post #36 by ShawnR » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:07 am

Thanks Scott
I found one locally so am going to go see it tomorrow. My rad does look like that one in the link you sent to me but had no bottom studs. I made up a plate and welded some studs to it but have yet to attempt to solder it to the rad lower tank.
I will try to get some more photos up.
Thanks

Buckley b414

Post #37 by Buckley b414 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:52 pm

Those bottom studs are actually Carriage bolts that fit into a keyway in the bottom of the radiator.

Buckley b414

Post #38 by Buckley b414 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:32 pm

My Radiator.

Buckley b414

Post #39 by Buckley b414 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Whoops.I thought I attached Pictures..

ShawnR

Post #40 by ShawnR » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Woo Hoo!!! It runs... :claphands: ..I started it yesterday for a couple of seconds as the rad is not mounted yet. I was anxious to see if it runs.

So, just keep plugging ahead.

Return to “Tractors”