Demolition jobs

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
jcbjs220

Demolition jobs

Post #1 by jcbjs220 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:14 pm

Well i was basicly asking if anyone can offer any advice to me. Im 23 currently working as an engineer for JCB. However it has always been my intention to go off and train to become an machine operator within the demolition industry. What im after is if anyone can give me advice as to the best way into this, as i know what with the credit crunch companies have had to stop recruting and have cut backs, however do things seem to be picking back up? And are companies now starting to take back on? I know i also need my cpcs card for 360 degree excavators and plan on getting this in the next 6 months. But what other training and cards are required, and is it likely that a company will take me on and give the expirience and training required???

Basicly any help or advice that any of you guys, especially those who are already working in the industry can give would be most helpfull.

thanks again

kieron

Hammer man

Re: Demolition jobs

Post #2 by Hammer man » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:45 pm

The easy part is getting you tickets.You need to do the Health & Safety test & then the CPCS ticket for whick ever machine/machines you want to drive.But that only lasts for 2 years.The 1st card is a Trained Operator card,which used to be Red.After 2 years it expires,& in that time you have to do a NVQ to get your replacement card which is then a Trained & Experienced card & used to be blue.That lasts a lifetime.Then there are other cards but i only have an Epic card in quarrying & minerals.
The hardest part is getting on a machine.I started on our Volvo 6x6 dumpers for a couple of years before proving my self on excavator.Have been driving them now for 4 years,mainly in quarrys.
Our firm,although based in Somerset are looking for operators.So there are signs that firms are recuiting. :)
2004 Hit ZX350,9556 hrs
2007 ZX350/3,6000 hrs,now with just over 10000 hrs!!!

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Martyn Henley » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Kieron i take you work for Greensheild JCB ?.... have you tried H.E Services for a start.. i know that when i worked there they always had a few trainee operators ....

Martyn

Topic author
jcbjs220

Post #4 by jcbjs220 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:31 am

Martyn Henley wrote:Kieron i take you work for Greensheild JCB ?.... have you tried H.E Services for a start.. i know that when i worked there they always had a few trainee operators ....

Martyn

thanks guys

i actually work for gunn jcb, a dealer that covers the midland, i carry out all the out of area work in the south east for them. I hadnt thought about he services, i always thought they only took people on for a 3 months at a time and then if they needed them kept them for another 3 months, and if not let them go.......but that being said i will bear that in mind. Im unable to do much at the moment, as have been signed off for 3 months, im just using this time to find out what i need, and plan my course of action. I used to have a red card for 360's but that ran out a few years ago because no one could take me on and put me through my nvq because the credit crunch hit, hency why im asking questions because i dont want to make the same mistake again!

but as i say i do appriciate the advice you expirienced guys can offer me so thankyou.

Hammer man

Post #5 by Hammer man » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:35 pm

jcbjs220 wrote:i actually work for gunn jcb

:lol: I know Gunn quite well in Shrewsbury,with our JS330 :roll: :lol:
How would you go about renewing your red card now??Would you have to do an nvq & get a blue card?I have Crawler tractor(bulldozer) & 180 deg digger thats expired on a red card. :)
2004 Hit ZX350,9556 hrs
2007 ZX350/3,6000 hrs,now with just over 10000 hrs!!!

Topic author
jcbjs220

Post #6 by jcbjs220 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:54 pm

:lol: I know Gunn quite well in Shrewsbury,with our JS330 :roll: :lol:
How would you go about renewing your red card now??Would you have to do an nvq & get a blue card?I have Crawler tractor(bulldozer) & 180 deg digger thats expired on a red card. :)

well as far as im aware i will have to pay to get another red card, yet i keep being told different information from the CITB. Ive just got to get the money together to do the course.

I used to work for the Shrewsbury depot, im origonly a kent lad and trained with greenshields, moved up to market drayton and started to work for Gunns in shrewsbury, and last year moved back south to cover down here for them. Good bunch of lads there. Who do you work for, as i know there aren't that many 330's that go through shrewsbury!

Return to “Off Topic”