Yet another unidentified Dumper.

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
josephcyril

Yet another unidentified Dumper.

Post #1 by josephcyril » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi all, :wave:
I picked up this dumper from a caravan park here in Sydney and it's been an absolute godsend on our 5 acre property. We use it as a big wheelbarrow for firewood etc and through the winter months I've had it up to the axles in the swamp fetching firewood etc. Starts first crank every time but the lister 2 cylinder smokes like a chimney. I had to fit a new seat to it because the old one had studs sticking out of it which wasn't easy on the behind.
Before next winter I'm looking at doing a bit of work to it, I suspect that's not the original fuel tank :lol: and last year I managed to drop 2 trees on it wich is why the steering wheel is the shape it is. I have got a new one but need to get around to modifying the centre hole.

So what is it? I saw an identical one sold on ebay (in pieces) and the vendor refered to it as a 'Widget' leading me to think it might be a Winget. Attached is the only data plate i could find on it that bore any information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldtime
Flag: Australia

Re: Yet another unidentified Dumper.

Post #2 by oldtime » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

looks like a Barford I baught on e bay a while ago . It was not a good buy .no bigend in the motor at all .said it just stoped !!!!

usedjcbdave
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by usedjcbdave » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I would have a stab at a Liner Roughrider 4x2 dumper based on the large engine cowling ? Would also guess that the original seat was where the fuel container is now !

oldtime

Post #4 by oldtime » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:17 am

looks to be 4wd . tank on the lister engine ?

Topic author
josephcyril

Post #5 by josephcyril » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks guys,
Yes it is all wheel drive, transmission is a bit noisy in low gear but it works fine. There are the remains of seat adjustment rails under where the fuel tank is now situated but to be honest that might be a bit far back for comfort even though I am over 6 foot. I think originally the tank would have been on the engine, the brackets suggest that.
Below is a pic of an identical machine that appeared on ebay refered to as a 'Widget'. Shows the fuel tank at the back of the engine with a steel seat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian

Post #6 by Julian » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:49 am

It looks to me like the steering axle is using Landrover swivel hubs in that second image? That should be a clue to someone.

I'm thinking the Liner Roughrider suggestion is sounding better, but I've no real idea. I was trying to read the painted lettering on the side of the skip but couldn't quite manage it as the photo wouldn't stand much enlargement, do you know what it says?

Julian.

oldtime

Post #7 by oldtime » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Its the same as mine from e bay a couple of months ago .Barford lister st2 engine . I am here in Canberra .dumper came from Sydney area .

Topic author
josephcyril

Post #8 by josephcyril » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 am

The wording on the side of the skip says 'JENNINGS' a prominent house builder to this day.
The landrover running gear is an interesting lead, I'll check that one out.
Since the only other one like this I've seen was also in Australia and of course oldtime has one in Canberra, maybe this was an Australian assembled product from generic British sourced parts? I have an International Harvester 5 ton tractor crane that was definitely fabricated here utilising imported components.
To be going on with I've just taken a close up of the hub in question, please excuse the cack as my pressure washer is on the blink.

Julian

Post #9 by Julian » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:59 am

Hmmm, I'm thinking that I was wrong on the LR swivel guess looing at that picture. Unfortunately my series 3 is 200 miles away so I can't just check - unless I happen to bump into another serier LR today!

Julian.

noddy
Flag: Great Britain

Post #10 by noddy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:54 pm

the serial no is off a liner built in uk

Return to “Dumpers”