komatsu pc 30 slow track

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
ivor

komatsu pc 30 slow track

Post #1 by ivor » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi,I've had a Komatsu PC30 (old one) for a few years to use on my self build.It's always had one track (engine)slower and weaker than the other,can anyone suggest the cause?thanks.........

jasonfisher

Re: komatsu pc 30 slow track

Post #2 by jasonfisher » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:55 pm

Ivor what do you mean by one track (engine)? Does one track travel slower or doesnt it have the same torque?

Topic author
ivor

Post #3 by ivor » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi,I mean has less power and when crawling at max one track is slower than the other.I've checked lever linkages. thanks.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:45 am

Hello Ivor,
I don't know the PC30, but here are a few general tips. Hope it helps. :)
Worth mentioning a too tight track can sapp power and cause a problem like yours, or it could be a mechanical fault.
Your fault could be in the control linkage, pump (flow), pressure settings, a fault in the rotary distributor or in the travel motor itself.
You have checked the linkage has enough travel to engage the spools in the valve block fully backwards and forwards :?: :?:
The travel motors are generaly driven by seperate sections of the pump, and each usualy has its own circuit with a main line releif valve controling it.
You can easily check for a pump fault by simply swaping the two main pressure feed pipes at the pump. If the pump is at fault your power loss will transfer to the other track. :thumbup:
Next you would need a pressure guage to check the two main releif valve settings. There will be a fitting to tee into somewhere on each circuit, and the valve adjustments will be on the spool block. I dont know what the pressure settings are for your machine but at least they should be equal. They can be checked by jambing a sledge or something suitable between the drive sprocket and track-frame to lock it up. Then you will need to pressure out the boom and arm ram in turn, whichever is connected to the circuit your checking, right onto their stops and hold it there to read these pressures.(full throttle).
If the pressures are correct and equal you probably have a track motor fault.
Some but not all rotary distributor faults can cause a pressure drop so that is best checked out first. It's a lot cheaper to reseal a distributor than replace a track motor. :think:
Hope you can follow this, sorry it's so involved. ;)
Good luck.
Fred

Topic author
ivor

Post #5 by ivor » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:49 am

OK thanks very much Fred. :angel:

Return to “Excavators”