Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Discuss dozers here

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Post #31 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:29 pm

even if the steering clutch is stuck it will feel the same as if it is not
the brake might be just out of adjustment due to someone trying to free the steering clutch in the past by using the brake
As for the injectors if it was mine I would just run them down to the local injector place these little Fiats are great starters I feel someone in the past has had ago at trying to fix things and maybe made things a lot worse

good luck and keep us posted

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

TrevorJ

Post #32 by TrevorJ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:37 pm

:oops: I missed your reply on the page 4 Paul.

To be clear, Paul was referring to the right clutch which won't disengage.

As per my last reply, the rt brake should do something.

One more thing, if the levers "feel" about the same, it is possible oil might have got into the right side compartment with the "drain" being blocked.

But you'll need to go through the process of confirming the setting the correct adjustment to be sure before looking for that problem.

Topic author
Paulz

Post #33 by Paulz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:15 pm

OK so the brake should slow the track regardless of what the clutch is doing. If the clutch is engaged the brake should slow the engine along with the track, if disengaged it should turn the thing right. The pedal is not bottoming out on anything outside the housing from what I can see and feel, it feels like a brake ought to. I see there is an inspection cover and centralizing adjustment that can be done from the outside, perhaps I can see if there is oil present from there? I would think if so it would still slow the track minimally, at least enough to know that the band was in fact contracting.

I'm just hoping it's a fix that doesn't involve pulling the housing off, looks like an arduous job.

I have not driven it yet myself, it is possible the right clutch may be disengaging but Mitch could not get it to turn right by just disengaging it with the brake not working. I will be out again tomorrow to drive it and get a better handle on the situation. He was great at turning left though..

A friend of mine owns an auto repair shop, if he has an injection gauge, with enough beer I may be able to coax him out there to set the injection pressure. Could that possibly aid starting?

Can't thank you guys enough, there seems to be few experienced people out there for these. You know what they say, sometimes things you get for free cost you the most!

TrevorJ

Post #34 by TrevorJ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:37 pm

A lot of the older machines I was around had a drain hole in each clutch / brake compartment. I'm not sure what Fiat did there.

Typically if the hole gets blocked and there's a leaking seal letting oil into the compartment, eventually it gets over the brake band, and into the clutch pack.

The fix for oiliness is, once the obstruction is removed from the drain, the oil drained out is to use some solvent to wash out the oil / oily gunk on the bottom of the compartment, which is added in through an inspection plate or bolt hole which goes into the compartment. When you're confident there's not much of a layer stuck on the bottom, the drain hole is blocked and to the compartment 2 to 4 gallons (10 to 20 liters) of turps or kero is added. (Turps is a bit better IMO) [Note, you just need enough to wet the bottom 6 inches of the clutch pack, compartments vary, some have ample room, some have nearly naught, but never so much solvent it could flood a stuffed seal.] Now engage the tracks but with both steering clutches pulled back let them spin for a couple of minutes and after stopping the machine, drain out the solvent. If it's really oily solvent, you may need to repeat with fresh solvent.

I hope I haven't missed anything out important, I haven't needed to do that for maybe 25 years ... but then again, I haven't been working on anyone else's dozers for that length of time either. ;-)

The injectors. Pull them out and take it to him. If you want to service them, you're probably going to have to do that. It can take a bit of finesse to get injectors out, but most come out easily with a suitable puller ... and I'm sure there's plenty of experienced fellas here who could tell you what sort (if any) of puller you need and how to go about it. Adjusting injectors in situ works to an extent, but it's better to see how they are spraying or if they're drippy. I'd guess there would be a couple of members here who occasionally have even resorted to adjusting them by ear while the engine is running ... way back before workplaces got touchy who was allowed to service this or that.

Topic author
Paulz

Post #35 by Paulz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:58 am

More progress today. I was able to start it from cold using enough battery power, but still needs a squirt of ether.

I got this from an estate, and today saw the contractor who set up my getting it. He told me the owner had new brakes and other work done to ($8K!) and parked it for several years without even using it, and it was when they went to move it the noticed it would not turn right.

Sure enough, I finally got some seat time in it today and the right clutch is not disengaging. The lever also does not feel the same as the left. The left one feels like it over centers, the right just feels tighter as you pull back. I drove it for an hour holding the right lever back, drug a stump around, even chained it to a tree and let the right track dig a trench, still never broke free. Any other suggestions?

I'm hoping the right brake works once the clutch does but it does not seem to slow the machine down at all when I stomp on it.

The engine runs great at working RPM but when I idle it down it sounds odd, a rolling sound is the only way I can describe it, kind of rhythmic change in RPM, and when I put the lever all the way to slow it dies. Might be the injector release pressures I messed up?

I'm encouraged that the brakes are new and am hoping I don't have to dig in there. I suppose there is nothing to do with the clutch except keep driving it and putting a strain on it.

Oh, forgot one other thing. It has to be started in neutral and grinds badly when trying to put it into gear, any gear. So the main clutch is not disengaging all the way either? Seems to work fine once it's in gear (starting and stopping).

Mrsmackpaul

Post #36 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:19 am

mate the best thing to do with the steering clutch is pull it out and seperate it put it back together you can check the brake as well while its out
It wont cost anything to pull the steering clutch out just time and maybe some gasket goo cement (depending on were your from ):D

Paul

TrevorJ

Post #37 by TrevorJ » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:47 am

The grinding if the main clutch is adjusted properly -- Sounds like the throwout bearing on the main clutch might need greasing or it's on it's way out.

Good to hear it has new brakes ... my guess is either the right is out of adjustment or oil has got onto it.

The steering clutch on the right. OK, it sounds really stuck. My guess is the shaft that rotates the fork, is fatigued as per my earlier post. It could be also that the pack has just seized up but not stuck together with oil like my earlier thoughts. To get an idea you'll need to inspect it and see if the lower section of the shaft is rotating as much as the top. Else the clutch needs to come out for a service.

Topic author
Paulz

Post #38 by Paulz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks Paul and Trevor. I did a quick search stuck clutches, apparently quite common. One idea was to fill the area with solvent and let it soak for awhile, sometimes help free it up. I do plan to try it again, in fact I badly need to move some dirt before the next rains and can probably do it as is, maybe that will help.

Unfortunately the roll cage on this thing, the one that is preventing removing the starter, also seems to cover the rear inspection plates for the brakes. I hate it when they design things that prevent even standard maintenance. I'm sure it will also have to come off to get at the brakes and clutches.

Yes I can hear the throwout bearing on the main clutch a little bit, nothing loud but only reason it would grind going into gear, unless I can adjust the clutch, which I will try on Friday.

Paul

Mrsmackpaul

Post #39 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:37 am

Might find the clutch flywheel has a whole heap of rust on it and is catching when the clutch is disengaged and might come of on its own fairly quickly
Maybe fill the steering clutch compartment with diesel and tie the handle back and get to work it loosen up when working never no your luck

Paul

Topic author
Paulz

Post #40 by Paulz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:30 am

Got a couple more hours in today. Fixed the hydraulic hoses, got the front blade working and was actually able to push some dirt around. Tough though only being able to turn left. Right clutch still stuck. I poured diesel in there and drove it around some, still stuck. I was able to coast it down a hill a verify that the brake does work, so it's just the stuck clutch. I parked it with the diesel in there and the lever tied disengaged, will try it again in a few days. Wish I could do something through this inspection hole, I see something round... Anyway it was good to do a bit of productive work with it, if I can get in a few more days even with the stuck clutch I'll feel ahead of the game.

Cheers, Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Dozers”