Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Discuss dozers here

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Need help with Fiat Hesston 605

Post #11 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:01 am

the gear stick for high and low range will have to be in neutral for it to start
I would think the injector would be the right spot to do a compression test ( it is the normal spot on a diesel )and you will need a compression tester for a diesel as well because the compression is so much higher ( please forgive me if Im sounding a bit basic but I have no idea on how much of this you under stand Im nit having a go or being a smart ass )
thought you might find some of these links useful
A free work shop manual
Fiat 355C/455C/505C/605C workshop manual
https://tractorspareparts.com.au/tractor-and-crawler-information-page/
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/3/9/5393-fiat-605.html
a cpoy of an owners manual if you are looking for one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FIAT-CRAWLER-TRACTOR-605C-SUPER-OPERATORS-MANUAL-/360637493210

seeya Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Paulz

Post #12 by Paulz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:54 am

Paul, can you tell me in this photo which is the high low lever?
adfsvad.jpg

Got time to go work on it today. First I hooked up cables direct to starter, ground cable on one of the mounting bolts. Turned over slow with big battery out of my truck. I attached a video, hope it plays.

0220151505.3gp

I then tried pulling it with my backhoe hoping to maybe loosen things up. With gear lever in neutral it rolled free. I then put it in 5th gear, it skidded for a bit then the tracks turned but when I checked the front pulley on the crank it had not moved. Clutch slip maybe? Not sure if you can roll it in gear like you can a wheeled tractor.

The engine is free enough that I can turn it over with a chain wrench with 18" lever without much effort.

I'm still stumped..

Thanks for the links, I uploaded the free downloads.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #13 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:16 am

perhaps 11 I dont know though but I would have thought it should be fairly easy to work out I would think

are you sure it's not stuck in a gear and when you put it in gear it was then in 2 gears at once ?

Paul

Topic author
Paulz

Post #14 by Paulz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi Paul,

Well I finally figured out how to pull the injectors ALL THE WAY out and was able to pour oil down the cylinders. Now it is turning over easily with the starter motor! Tomorrow I will go back and put the injectors in and try to start it.

There is a push pull knob at the bottom right of dash that I think controls the injection pump? 17 in the photo above. Push that in while starting and out to stop?

Thanks Mate,

Paul

Mrsmackpaul

Post #15 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Yeah mate that would be it have it pushed in when running and pull it out to stop it
is there copper washer's on the bottom of the injectors ? if so they might need to be replaced at some stage once you get it going
Have you worked out why it wouldnt pull when you put it in gear ?
might have to pull the top cover off the gear box and make sure the selector forks are still lined up across and complete I would think if you undid the bolts around the out side of plate with that the gear stick comes out of it will just lift straight off
good luck

Paul

I cant get the video to play might be my computer though its like me a bit slow and low on mega bites :lol: :lol:

TrevorJ

Post #16 by TrevorJ » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:51 am

^ paul try vlc player for 3gp files ... it's free but very good ... you'll need to download it to your computer first. If you're like I getting blocked by "quicktime required" use the link to grab it

/download/file.php?id=48558

Starter sounds average to me ... considering the "very" thin battery leads. Better high current cables for the win ... about 7/16 - 1/2 inch copper I find is a must. Least of all you've got all lead battery clamps- they are really a lot less hassle in the long run of things.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #17 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Paul now that I can see your video I can see that what Trevor is saying is %100 correct you need much bigger leads and a real good battery here's what I have in my old 550 Fiat
that should give you some idea of what size leads you need
And also unlike me make sure the stop button is pushed in :oops:

seeya

Paul

heres a short video
http://vid1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag265/MrsMackPaul/IMG_0289_zpsqghfplth.mp4

Topic author
Paulz

Post #18 by Paulz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:52 am

Hi Fellas,

Some progress today, inching towards a running engine. The cables you see there are a second set of cables I hooked up to use two batteries. The normal cables are still in front of the radiator. The ground cable is a flat braided strap, the positive is fairly substantial.

I think I mentioned in my last post that I got the injectors all the way out, poured ATF (all I had around at the time) down the holes and it spun over fairly fast, shooting ATF 10 ft. into the air. So today I cleaned and re-installed the injectors, hooked up two batteries and even had my truck idling with jumper cables hooked up, still slow to turn over. Darn...

So my friend Mitch helped me and we drug it behind my backhoe and got it to spin over pretty well, even managed to get some smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. Mitch though it began to run at one point but died as soon as the pulling stopped. I tried spraying a little bit of either (don't like doing that) and WD40 down the intake manifold, not sure if that helped or hindered, or whether any remaining ATF was hampering things. We are going to attack it again in a few days.

I have a couple more questions.

I assume when we are trying to start it by pulling we don't need the battery hooked up since there is no ignition system? Or should we have a battery hooked up and the key in on mode?

The fuel tank is about 3/4 full of the diesel that was in it when I got it. It doesn't smell bad but it could be a year old or more for all I know. There is a lever to prime the fuel system. When I loosened the water drain screw on the first filter and pushed the lever it spayed out fuel so it appears to be working. Since I had the injectors out I assume it needs some priming to get fuel to them. When I press the lever it seems to give a full stroke but then it takes 5-10 seconds before it will give another full stroke. Maybe that is normal? I cracked one of the injector lines loose at the cylinder but never did see any fuel come out. Also under the dash, on the side opposite of the fuel knob you push/pull, there is a wing nut pointing outwards, connected to a cable I think that runs under the dash. Is there a fuel petcock, could that be what it is?

After we gave up pulling it I tried the starter and it turned over better just from being loosened up I guess. I think out best chance of starting it is to keep pulling it and get some fuel going in. Once we get it running it may start with the starter.

Whew, so that's where I'm at. Thanks again guys for responding, any advice on where to go from here much appreciated.

Paul in Ca.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #19 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 pm

does it make smoke as soon as you start to turn it over ????

if there isnt smoke right away it would mean to me you dont have fuel there right at the start and it might need to be bleed

Paul

deltasierra

Post #20 by deltasierra » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:08 pm

If it turns over very slowly are you sure it's not a 24v system. Some Fiats we're if you have no manuals check the light bulbs

Return to “Dozers”