Powertrain

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
jess

Powertrain

Post #1 by jess » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:01 am

Hi Evryone
im new to the world of jcb ,could some one tell me what is the POWER TRAIN jcb3 ?
Thanks
Julian

jcb4cx
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Powertrain

Post #2 by jcb4cx » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:08 am

powertrain was a sort of prototype 3cx ,extender ,shuttle gearbox ,had a short production life as the 3cx came out
http://www.rbunton.co.uk/vintage_jcb3c_powertrain.html
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
jess

Post #3 by jess » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:44 am

jcb4cx wrote:powertrain was a sort of prototype 3cx ,extender ,shuttle gearbox ,had a short production life as the 3cx came out

Thanks for the speedy reply, does that mean it came with the 4 in 1 and extra dig?
Cheers
Julian

jcb4cx
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by jcb4cx » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:18 am

jess wrote:
jcb4cx wrote:powertrain was a sort of prototype 3cx ,extender ,shuttle gearbox ,had a short production life as the 3cx came out

Thanks for the speedy reply, does that mean it came with the 4 in 1 and extra dig?
Cheers
Julian

yes thats it ,from memory i think it had powertrain on top of the cab between the work lights
have you the chance of buying one ,or do you have one
cheers graham
every village has one , is yours missing you

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:16 am

I think the Powertrain revered to the last knockings of the 3C111 that were fitted with the transmision so to be available in the 3CX as (as 4CX has posted) It was a borg warner T/con and forward rev shuttle box connected to a spicer 4sp syncro gearbox with a short external prop shaft to the JCB rear axle. IIRR the first axle had dry inboard brakes but they were soon replaced with wet brakes. The hand brake operated on an external disc on the g/b output shaft. It was I believe JCB's first departure from a full tractor skid unit. I do not think they were all necessarily speced with 4in1 and the extender was fairly rare as well.
The proper designation was 'Build 5' and this can be seen on the machine no plate.
The most obvious difference from other 3C models was the handbrake lever mounted high on the dash and a big clumpy shift lever.
I think the Leyland syncro tractor skid was still available at the same time.
Although the Power train looks similar to other 3Cs it was a very different machine to drive.

steve ball

Post #6 by steve ball » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Pete, you're spot on. I've got a 1979 Powertrain and it's an early version since it has the dry brakes. All Powertrains had the build number xxxxx/5.
4 in 1 and extending dipper were both options and it's rare to see a machine around with both of these fitted.

Return to “Tech Talk”