JCB Mark I Major Loader Restoration

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Steelfab

JCB Mark I Major Loader Restoration

Post #1 by Steelfab » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:16 am

I must be mad but I am helping a friend to restore a Mark I Major Loader in just 4 weeks! I did the Steelfab in 12 weeks but need to get it complete for an event next month at JCB. What would be of great help would be a parts manual or any drawing or any information which will help the restoration?

Thanks Julian

Topic author
Steelfab

Re: JCB Mark I Major Loader Restoration

Post #2 by Steelfab » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:28 am

Attached is a picture of the machine before it was taken apart two years ago and delivered last week in pieces. After an assessment of the parts the loader arms are shot and a new set are being manufactured this week using the old ones to copy. One of the buckets is being refubished whilst the other bucket is that bad it is easier to make a new one copying the old to get an exact copy and luckily have an original set of new teeth for it. The paintwork has been matched up and is being made and delivered on Thursday the tractor skid can be painted after the replacement engine is fitted having being purchased over the weekend as the current engine is siezed. A load of new parts have been ordered for the engine and transmission including oil bath, exhaust, stop cable, brake liners, starter solenoid, filters and new Enfo filters which all arrive on Wednesday

The hydraulic hoses are small in comparison to modern machines are are mostly 1/2" but some are as small as 1/4" so these are being measured tomorrow and made later this week. The hydraulic filter is a Puralator which uses the Crosland 494 cartridge which is the same as my Steelfab backhoe which I had some spares I purchased on eBay.

Tomorrow I am searching through the JCB archives to seek out a parts list and drawing and any photographs I can to see details of the original machine to match whilst doing the restoration. In the absence of a proper parts manual I have decided to create my own for future reference should anyone else want to restore a MK1 to make it easier to do.

A couple of parts I am missing is the JCB logo and 'Excavator' name place on the side of the boom and also the pump guard on the front. Does anyone have one to copy? The name plates on the machine at JCB are vinyl decals which were not originally fitted to this machine

Regards Julian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:49 am

Julian does J.C. Balls have the same badge on their machine that you could get the sizes off?

Jeremy

Topic author
Steelfab

Post #4 by Steelfab » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:37 am

The restoration is going full speed ahead and the loader arms have been totally refurbished along with the buckets and A- frame. The tractor unit has all been painted and the skid unit is almost ready just waiting for the new front tyres to arrive. The hydaulics are proving to be a challenge as most of the rams are leaking so they have been sent off to be stripped and resealed but the loader and excavator valve block are far from straightforward. They were both seized solid and the spools rusted up so after a few hours managed to strip it all down and now the spools and valve block have been sent off to be remachined which is costing a fortune about £1,400 just for the excavator valve block but it has to be done. Suprisingly the seals were still avaailble from JCB today

Tonight I measure up all the bucket pins and these will be made at the same time the tipping link is remachined so they will be tight fit and won't rattle around.

Have posted a few pictures for information
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Stormin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:42 am

I notice the remains of a cab on the machine before disassembly.
Are you going to try to recreate a cab for this machine? Of all the ones I've seen I think there's only the JCB museum one with a cab.

Won't re-machining the valve block result in oversize bores needing different sized seals from the originals?

Topic author
Steelfab

Post #6 by Steelfab » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:05 am

The machine did once have a cab and only a few parts still remain which is going to make it very difficult to make a new one, so the only way is to copy the cab on the machine at JCB. It will take a design engineer upto two weeks to take the measurement and produce a full set of drawings which will be good enough to have a fabriator make which is going to be expensive so have appoached Univeral Hobbies who made the 1:16 scale model to use there model drawing and rescale them back up which will be a good starting point to make new drawings.

The spools on the valve block will be made oversize to fit the honed bores, but the spools are hollow with a rod going through them and are held in place with circlips. The rods will be soaked in acid tanks and then rechromed to the original size so the seals on either end will still fit

Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by Tillywolves » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:14 pm

You dont do things by halves do you Julian.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”