Howdy, Just bought a 76 3c mkIII jcb backhoe

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
chris_davis

Re: Howdy, Just bought a 76 3c mkIII jcb backhoe

Post #11 by chris_davis » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Thanks for the help gang. We had a bad cold front come throu and I had to work a lot. I finally got all the fluids and filters changed, and all the zert greased which was a long job. The torque converter still has a small delay when engaging forward or reverse. My stop engine cable and my throttle cable are both broke, so I will need to order them.
But the next big thing is the brakes still don't work well. Essexpete and Plessey you both were right on the brakes. I got floor plates up and I have broken lose the cover plate bolts, but not taken them off yet. Wanted to make sure that there is no coil spring inside, or if I should back the brake adjustments all the way off before removing the covers.
Always appreciate any advice.
Got some new pictures including one of the brake drum housing.
Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
chris_davis

Post #12 by chris_davis » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:34 am

Well took the bakes apart, they were packed with brake dust, and the pads are almost down to nothing.
Some helpful hints if you do this procedure,
after you have removed all the bolts holding the floor of the cab down
back the adjustment nuts off all the way on both brake pedals,
then unhook the springs on both brake pedal
loosen the claps on the torch converter hose so the pipe can slide out
It takes two people to remove the floor plate on the brake pedal side, one underneath and one in cab
The gas pedal side is much easier but you want to grab the pedal and the back of the floor plate same time
we just lifted it up out of the way and hooked it out of the way, since the accelerator cable is attached to the pedal.
When removing the drums/brake covers, it helped to wedge a flat head screwdriver in the bottom where all the dust was and work it back and forth
These are dry brakes with a brake disc/pad.
Please remember that many brake disc/pads where made with asbestos and while it is not harmful in solid or wet paste state, it is harmful in air born such as powder where it can be breathed in to your lungs. Hence why we have shirts over our faces, yeah were very scientific lol.
Put the pads back on since I haven't had time to order new ones and need to move machine to area I can weld at.
Haven't adjusted brakes yet to see if they work at all now thou, ran out of time.
Any advice is always welcome
Thanks,
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Post #13 by essexpete » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:41 pm

chris_davis wrote:Well took the bakes apart, they were packed with brake dust, and the pads are almost down to nothing.
Some helpful hints if you do this procedure,
after you have removed all the bolts holding the floor of the cab down
back the adjustment nuts off all the way on both brake pedals,
then unhook the springs on both brake pedal
loosen the claps on the torch converter hose so the pipe can slide out
It takes two people to remove the floor plate on the brake pedal side, one underneath and one in cab
The gas pedal side is much easier but you want to grab the pedal and the back of the floor plate same time
we just lifted it up out of the way and hooked it out of the way, since the accelerator cable is attached to the pedal.
When removing the drums/brake covers, it helped to wedge a flat head screwdriver in the bottom where all the dust was and work it back and forth
These are dry brakes with a brake disc/pad.
Please remember that many brake disc/pads where made with asbestos and while it is not harmful in solid or wet paste state, it is harmful in air born such as powder where it can be breathed in to your lungs. Hence why we have shirts over our faces, yeah were very scientific lol.
Put the pads back on since I haven't had time to order new ones and need to move machine to area I can weld at.
Haven't adjusted brakes yet to see if they work at all now thou, ran out of time.
Any advice is always welcome
Thanks,
Chris

Gas pedal?? Gas pedal ?have you got a propane cylinder underneath?

:D
Good photos BTW and could be useful info for others on this site.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”