Thwaites clutch help / replacement springs / parts needed

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
katana

Thwaites clutch help / replacement springs / parts needed

Post #1 by katana » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi,
new to the forum. I am currently repairing a 3 ton Thwaites dumper with a 40M gearbox. The graphite bearing and clutch fork were damaged when the springs holding the central disc on the clutch cover failed. (This disc makes contact with the bearing) This disc is usually part of the cover but my cover and plate are perfectly serviceable.

My question is.....are there sources where I can obtain the 3 sets of retaining springs ? Or has anyone second hand clutch cover they can remove the springs from and sell them to me .........please.

Thanks for reading
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Thwaites clutch help / replacement springs / parts needed

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 am

Welcome to CMN :wave: I would imagine that the springs are probably available but common practice is to change the cover plate regardless of how good it looks which would be your best bet in the long run.

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:03 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Welcome to CMN :wave: I would imagine that the springs are probably available but common practice is to change the cover plate regardless of how good it looks which would be your best bet in the long run.

Jeremy

Welcome David,
Jeremy is right I would replace the pressure pate.
Having stripped it out it would be short sighted not to renew the whole clutch and the release bearing too.
I would only repair the clutch if a replacement was unobtainable and I dont think you will have too much trouble locating one.
Fred

Topic author
katana

Post #4 by katana » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Thank you Jeremy and Fred,
normally I would be on the same 'page' as you both. Unfortunately finances are very tight, the cover is fully serviceable, it seems that the fork fractured allowing the bearing to pull away from it, damaging the retaining springs. I contacted Hydraulic Plant Services Ltd, and I have just found out that they can supply the springs at £5.95 each plus vat & P&P ....so will go down that route. I appreciate both your comments.

All the best
David

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:59 pm

katana wrote:Thank you Jeremy and Fred,
normally I would be on the same 'page' as you both. Unfortunately finances are very tight, the cover is fully serviceable, it seems that the fork fractured allowing the bearing to pull away from it, damaging the retaining springs. I contacted Hydraulic Plant Services Ltd, and I have just found out that they can supply the springs at £5.95 each plus vat & P&P ....so will go down that route. I appreciate both your comments.

All the best
David

Hello again David,
I fully understand where your coming from. I've been on your present 'page' myself at times.
Good luck.
Fred

Return to “Dumpers”