CATERPILLAR D2

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
martyn williams

CATERPILLAR D2

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:20 pm

I dont think I have put details on this site of my D2.
My D2 is a 3j built in 1938 and is number 506.This may be the oldest D2 in the UK.I purchased it 14 years ago from Doug Cross Swindon Wiltshire.It was a runner but needed repairs to the pre combustion chambers and a few other jobs on it.
I have taken it to many rallies over the years.
When I purchace a machine I always try to find its working history.
This machine was purchaced by the Ingate family in 1938 for £500 brand new from Thurlow and sons Stowmarket.It worked in this area for many years.The son of the original owner visited me last year,he had driven it last in 1957.It then went to TA Hinch of Stamford Lincs. then to Swindon with Mr Cross then it came to me.
The pictures show Mr John Ingate at the controls after nearly 50 years.It had brought many happy memories to him from when his dad owned it.He even tape recorded me starting it upThe D 2 had a major overhaul in the late 1950s,note the air manifold has the donkey engine exhaust going through it.When built the donkey exhaust went straight to atmosphere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Re: CATERPILLAR D2

Post #2 by John Gaunt » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi Martyn,
I met John Ingate a few years ago through a friend (the one I bought my D7 from), he mentioned the D2...small world isn't it.
By the way, My D2 (5J2720SP) has the donkey exhaust going straight out rather than through the inlet manifold. You can just see it in the photo I posted on my introduction page.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Yes its a small world John,my Drott also comes from your part of the UK.I got it from Jonathan Mintz of Tractor Co.You may also know Dave Precious.see photo.
Cheers
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Post #4 by Tracshovel » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:59 pm

Nice old tractor there B100

Here is another -

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:05 pm

Hello Trackshovel,I am thinking of getting a Cat D4 7j dozer at the end of the year.It only needs a few things done to it to sort it out.
I think the D2's and BTD6's are great little crawlers.
Martyn

Return to “Tractors”