JCB 3C MK III restoration

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Steelfab

JCB 3C MK III restoration

Post #1 by Steelfab » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:05 am

My latest restoration project is a 1978 3C MK III which I recently found on eBay. The machine is in very good condition for its age and has been barn stored for the past 5-10 years. The machine still had the originally Lewisham Borough Council stickers on the side of it and after a little research I spoke with the council who remember the machine being used by their old sewers department, mainly for excavating the roads in the borough when carrying out sewer repairs and driven by Bill Ironside.

Having found the original sales ledgers at JCB I found that the machine was quite expensive in its day and about £4,000 more than other 3CIII's sold at the same by Berkley JCB. The machine is quite a unique specification which caught my eye on ebay and has the Montabert road breaker (believe it is a BBH31 - ?), 6-in-1 shovel, forks, torque convertor, industrial tyres, and jaw circuit on the back and soundproofing in the cab. The machine has a large tool box mounted on the fender and still has the original spacer bars for lifting pipes and all the tools for the breaker. Unfortunately the jaw bucket is missing so are looking for one if you know where there is one?

I took the machine out for a test run on the weekend and the brakes are 100% and stop the machine very well, the gearbox is very positive and both the gearbox and torque convertor oil is like new. The fuel filters are still JCB branded so probably hasnt been serviced since the council last did it, which they told me they used to do on a regular basis so probably why the machine is in such good working condition. The inside of the cab has suffered some rot to the fenders and the box section at the base of the cab due to the rubber mates holding the water.

Im going to start work straight away on restoring the machine and are looking for a jaw bucket, a set of rear buckets and any parts anyone may have to help with the restoration which includes the steering wheel centre cap and spinner knob. The seat wobbles around on the pedestal – anyone know the best way to fix this? Also need the chrome door handle on the side door to the hydraulic filter, beading and rubbers seals for around the cab. Also the hand breakers needs an overhaul – are the parts still available, and ‘Keep it Genuine’ sticker for the roof.
Please let me know what you may have to help - thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3C MK III restoration

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 am

Looks a nice straight machine there Julian :thumbup: although perhaps less of a challenge in the restoration process its better to find them in good condition in the first instance and can be far more cost effective too, nice find.

Jeremy

Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Joes1989 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:14 am

I'd seen that! It certainly is remarkably straight for it's age! Keep us updated with the progress!

grant

Post #4 by grant » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 am

Hi Julian very tidy machine look forward to seeing your progress as for the jaw bucket there was one on eBay a while back that I watched and i'am sure it didn't sell there was a you tube video link I think it was Jcb footage not the actual bucket if you search you tube for Jcb jaw bucket i'am sure it's still on you could comment on the video the seller may still have it would be worth asking

grant

Post #5 by grant » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 am

Here's the link http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Gu034OojJV4 although I just had a thought perhaps the seller just used this video as an example may be worth asking if they know where you could get one though

Dieseljimmer

Post #6 by Dieseljimmer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Wow Julian, that is certainly a well together machine, looks like you could put it to work tomorrow without much problem!! Great find!!

Hugh Jaleak

Post #7 by Hugh Jaleak » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:30 am

I believe Vicary Plant are breaking a couple of 3C mk3's at present if thats any help?

Topic author
Steelfab

Post #8 by Steelfab » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Just a quick update to say that the restoration is going very well and all the mechanical and hydraulic work is now completed. I have found an original jaw bucket and back filling blade for it which works very well and is quite a useful attachment to use. The seat has been upholstered aswell and this week the bodywork should be completed which includes a new tool box and new fenders which are being pressed tomorrow.

The shovel is also having a new toe plate, sides and back board being fabricated at the moment so should look like new when finished.

The Montabert BBH 31 road breaker is proving to be difficult to find spares for so if anyone knows where I can find any aswell as the unusual hydraulic hose which has the pressure line inside the outer return pipe and end fittings this be most helpful

I have sourced a load of new parts from around the world and the only items I am looking for a the front and rear lights (not the ones in the roof) and the head lights behind the front grill if anyone has any for sale?

The cab is the last part which I will be starting next month which will need a lot of work but hope to start painting the main machine next month. The original paint colours have now been found after a lot of searching and the paint is on order...

I have new Goodyear tyres for the machine but the current tyres are in very good condition and one is actually new so will be looking to sell these if anyone is looking for a set. The sizes are 18.4/15 x 26 on the rear and 10.5/80 x 18 on the front. Also I have new buckets for the machine so the 24" bucket which is fitted is also for sale and has new bushes and teeth.

If you have any new parts for a 3C MKIII please let me know as I may need it to finish the machine off. I will try and get some pictures posted soon

grant

Post #9 by grant » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Look forward to seeing your progress always nice to see pictures through various stages of a restoration Julian can you still get parts for the 3c from jcb?

martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:02 pm

There is a company near Aberdare that has parts for JCB 's the name of which has slipped my mind. Fred will know.
Martyn
Here it is
Paul Martin

The Old Granary
Farm Road
Aberaman
Aberdare
Mid Glamorgan
CF44 6LJ

Tel/Fax 01685 877822

Mobile 07831 306 405

Pauljcbmartin@yahoo.co.uk