MF 50B

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

MF 50B

Post #1 by agrimax » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Asked to look at a 50B to see if I can solve an issue with the hydraulics.Haven't just had time to look yet but the owner says the ram operations are jerky.That would signify ingress of air in the system.So far he has replaced a suction hose at the pump,changed the filter and swapped the pump with a known good one.Anybody any further thoughts as to what and where to look for a solution?He did say when a lever is pulled,there could be a 5-10 second delay before response on that ram.Oh,and there is plenty of oil in it!

martyn williams

Re: MF 50B

Post #2 by martyn williams » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I would put a gauge on the pipes and check pressures and releif valve settings first.Also suction side of the pump, I went to a machine once that had the wrong type of suction hose fitted. It was drawn in restricting flow from the tank,lack of oil causing jerky hydraulics
Martyn

Topic author
agrimax

Post #3 by agrimax » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Thanks Martyn.

Topic author
agrimax

Post #4 by agrimax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Got a look at the 50B today. Totally unusable machine as it sits. Pull any lever and a long wait before any response.Ram only jerks out a short distance and stops before a long wait again.Now without a doubt,the oil is water laden and full of air bubbles.Told owner to get it changed first,as best he can.
What I do wonder is,is there an O ring between the filter housing and oil reservoir?Or at least,what seals the filter housing to the chassis?With the engine running,I could seal oily bubbles(although very slight)around that joint. Given the drastic operation,I would have thought it would have taken more of a leak than can be seen to cause the problem.Can't see any problems with the new suction hose either.
Any thoughts please?

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:55 pm

If the pump,filter and oil level is ok,looks like you are drawing in air. Check filter seal as if its not sitting right you will get a leak and may draw air into the circuit. Any vibration on the hydraulic pipes ? The hydraulic oil needs to be in good condition,it may need a flushout if very milky
Martyn

Topic author
agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 pm

The oil is certainly very milky but I think the main problem is definitely air.Have told the owner to check out that seal between filter housing and chassis/reservoir. Didn't think to feel the hoses for vibration and the symptoms would make you think there is little oil in the system,but the level is fine.

gezratcliffe

Post #7 by gezratcliffe » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:57 pm

Hi, sorry to bust in on this thread but ive a 50b and i cant find anywhere what type of oil goes in the hydraulic system!! what's your experience? what works and is cheap! mine is a manual 1975 50b TIA

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:25 pm

Probably use a 46 grade hydraulic oil of any make.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”