Aveling Barford Roller

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
woodie

Aveling Barford Roller

Post #1 by woodie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi, I'm looking for any info on an Aveling Barford Diesel Roller, the model type is GDR

It's been lying in our yard for years, and I'm currently trying to get it sorted up to try and get it running again. Been squeezing some time between work to change oil, sort out the fuel system, belts and hoses etc, a mechanic is going to come up when its ready to try and fire up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian

Re: Aveling Barford Roller

Post #2 by Julian » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi there, it's looking too good for the scrap-man. What engine does it have?

Julian.

Topic author
woodie

Post #3 by woodie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:32 am

Julian wrote:Hi there, it's looking too good for the scrap-man. What engine does it have?

Julian.

4 Cylinder Ford engine Julian

70's steve
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by 70's steve » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:15 am

this is great !! do keep us informed with progress updates , be a good picture along with m.howes when he finds a pf 90 bk ! lol

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:30 am

That looks like a great project :thumbup:
They were fitted with a sliding counter weight to alter the pressure applied by the rolls.
The GD range are the largest in the G range, I have a GA type roller , G stands for Grantham and the letters A to D denotes machine size.
The engine in these were pretty good but can have block damage if anti freeze was not used.The cab doors were a large glass panels.
Hopefully the linkages and brakes are not too bad for you.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Martyn

Julian

Post #6 by Julian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:16 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:That looks like a great project :thumbup:
They were fitted with a sliding counter weight to alter the pressure applied by the rolls.
Martyn

That's interesting and a new one on me. Would you care to explain a little more, please!

Julian.

martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Hello Julian
Steam rollers used their dead weight to compact tarmac.Diesel rollers could be ballasted using water to make them heavier than their normal road weight.Some of the larger Aveling diesel rollers had a heavy metal weight that can be moved towards the front of the roller to redistribute the weight from the rear rolls to the front.This weight was hand cranked using a handle to move the weight on a trolley type contraption.When the roller was used to scarify the road the weight would be further back therfore putting more weight on the rear rolls.My little Ga roller has plugs on the front rolls to be removed and filled with water ballast if required.
As you know these days,rollers are fitted with vibrating rolls to increase compaction.
Martyn

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:50 pm

The metal weight is situated below the cab on the roller base frame between the rear of the machine and the transmission.I guess its travel would be around 4 or 5 foot
Hope this answers your question ? I have got an operating manual somewhere,will scan a photo of the rollers internal workings .
Martyn

Topic author
woodie

Post #9 by woodie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Would like to see more about the weight transfer idea, I've not really looked under the floor panels yet.

Julian

Post #10 by Julian » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:00 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Hello Julian
Steam rollers used their dead weight to compact tarmac.Diesel rollers could be ballasted using water to make them heavier than their normal road weight.Some of the larger Aveling diesel rollers had a heavy metal weight that can be moved towards the front of the roller to redistribute the weight from the rear rolls to the front.This weight was hand cranked using a handle to move the weight on a trolley type contraption.When the roller was used to scarify the road the weight would be further back therfore putting more weight on the rear rolls.My little Ga roller has plugs on the front rolls to be removed and filled with water ballast if required.
As you know these days,rollers are fitted with vibrating rolls to increase compaction.
Martyn

I've been looking at the picture of that GD and it's difficult to see just where this moveable weight lives, it must be low down I guess. Also I wonder why they just didn't fill the space entirely with solid weight and add to the total effectiveness of the roller, though maybe they didn't want too much on the rear rolls when rolling tarmac as I guess you'd make tramlines in the surface too easily?

Anyway, out of interest, I've got an Aveling DX8, but there doesn't seem to be any provision for water ballasting the rolls - I'll go and have a look and check again, I guess there will be some sort of bung on the things.

Julian.

Return to “Paving Equipment”