Dust

Discuss scrapers here

Topic author
Neil D
Flag: Great Britain

Dust

Post #1 by Neil D » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Anybody any experience using twin engine scrapers in Africa in particular problems with air filters etc.

Neil

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Dust

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Any machine that operates in very a dusty environment can experience problems, they even had to fit dust sheilds to the tracks of the Challenger tanks that took part in the Iraq war, most manufacturers would probably offer some sort of special air filter system to overcome this problem of dust, I have even seen pictures of old Hymacs with added airfilter protection.

Jeremy

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:38 pm

Dust can be a problem for any scraper as the next two pictures show, I suppose the best and simple answer is to use a water bowser to dampen dusty ground, okay that may pose a problem in a country like Africa which is not known for its abundance of the wet stuff!!

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Neil D

Post #4 by Neil D » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Thanks Jeremy for your replys but I am wanting to hear from people that have actually worked these machines in dusty conditions and what modifications they may or may not have made such as aftermarket filters etc.

cheers
Neil

bigkit

Post #5 by bigkit » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:40 pm

What about those "turbo" or vortex type pre-filters? :eh: I guess you would need a pre-filter thats cleanable and about 4 times larger than the OEM filter on board.

The california boys ought to know whats best to use.

Topic author
Neil D

Post #6 by Neil D » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:32 am

Hi Clive, thats the sort of thing I'm looking for, I've been told single engine scrapers are the most common in Africa but there are other parts of the world just as dusty using twins so cant understand why there should be a problem.

Neil

bigkit

Post #7 by bigkit » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Have you got your passport ready then Neil? :lol:

I suppose you mad men are going to road them there to save on the ferry!!!!! :lol:

nick lamb

Post #8 by nick lamb » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Neil,even in this country it's standard practice during dry times to have the fitters blow both air filters and radiator cores out at both tea breaks and at finishing time.you will have plenty of time to do this whilst oiling them up and letting them cool down.Use good quality oil and more frequent changes.A strong air compressor is a must when running scrapers.
Good luck mate.

martyn williams

Post #9 by martyn williams » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:25 pm

I suppose it would be prudent to have two sets of filters so you could just swap over quickly in very dusty conditions. One set on the machine and one set blown out. Better than loss of power and cylinder wear due to dust and over fuelling engines.

Topic author
Neil D

Post #10 by Neil D » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:46 pm

bigkit wrote:Have you got your passport ready then Neil? :lol:

I suppose you mad men are going to road them there to save on the ferry!!!!! :lol:

Hi Clive, did you hear about Patrick who had asked to be buried at sea so Paddy and Murphy gathered him up into a boat and on they went. Eventually Paddy asks Murphy is this far eneogh. so Murphy replies hold on and I'ill see, so he dives over the side and returns a few minutes later. Yes he says its perfect pass me the shovel!!!!!

Neil

Return to “Scrapers”