wiring JCB 3c M11 starter Motor

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
time travel

wiring JCB 3c M11 starter Motor

Post #1 by time travel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:33 am

Hi

I was wondering what the wires are for the starter motor? Mine was dead and the reco one has a slightly different solenoid.

I have four brown (go over bolt types) and one (red and white [slide connector]) any help would be great. The machine came without the starter connected and was quite dead 

Thanks
John

martyn williams

Re: wiring JCB 3c M11 starter Motor

Post #2 by martyn williams » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 am

http://www.samarins.com/glossary/starter.html
This is the basic starting circuit. The small spade connector cable is from the key switch.Follow the four cables to see where they go to before connecting to the battery. .You should have an earth cable off the motor to frame. and battery negative to frame.
Martyn

pdftown.com/search/node/jcb+3c+wiring+diagram
JCB 2B, 3, 3C, 3D, 4C MK2 1968-77 Operators Handbook
JCB 2D, 2DS, 3, 3C, 3CS, 3D and 700 Backhoe Service Workshop Manual

Topic author
time travel

Post #3 by time travel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 am

B100 LOADER wrote:http://www.samarins.com/glossary/starter.html
This is the basic starting circuit. The small spade connector cable is from the key switch.Follow the four cables to see where they go to before connecting to the battery. .You should have an earth cable off the motor to frame. and battery negative to frame.
Martyn

That was so quick Martyn. Thanks I will follow your directions :-)

Is it normal for the throw out cog to only cover half the ring gear? The one that came with the backhoe was a lucas original and it did that.

Thanks you so much
John

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:02 am

As long as the pinion gear meshes with the majority of the starter ring it should be ok.
Let us know how you get on :thumbup:
There may be a download for that machine on CMN. :think:
Martyn

Topic author
time travel

Post #5 by time travel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 am

B100 LOADER wrote:As long as the pinion gear meshes with the majority of the starter ring it should be ok.
Martyn

I have the manual and there is an image of removing the starter, not very clear, but good enough for a starting point.

It shows the earth and postive from teh battery and a two small spade connector cable.

I will follow what you suggested and report back. I am so looking forward to get it going. Once this is sorted just need to sort out the fuel issue JCB 3c MK11 Diesel in engine oil

Thanks
John

Mark.Rive

Post #6 by Mark.Rive » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 pm

time travel wrote:
B100 LOADER wrote:As long as the pinion gear meshes with the majority of the starter ring it should be ok.
Martyn

I have the manual and there is an image of removing the starter, not very clear, but good enough for a starting point.

It shows the earth and postive from teh battery and a two small spade connector cable.

I will follow what you suggested and report back. I am so looking forward to get it going. Once this is sorted just need to sort out the fuel issue viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6674

Thanks
John

John, that white cable with the red tracer wont be up behind the keyswitch. Its white with a yellow tracer up there. Goes to a neutral start switch first, then changes to red tracer. :thumbup: Mark

Topic author
time travel

Post #7 by time travel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:48 pm

John, that white cable with the red tracer wont be up behind the keyswitch. Its white with a yellow tracer up there. Goes to a neutral start switch first, then changes to red tracer. :thumbup: Mark

Wow this is cool, some really nice poster/ people :-)

Just a few jobs todo and then down to the back paddock.

What I forgot to ask would that be a postive or negative feed to the starter?

Thanks all
John

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47 am

A lot of older machines were positive earth. If you negative cable is grounded to the machine.ie bolted to the frame of the machine ,its a negative earth.Once you have the machine started you can check if its charging. You may need a dynamo overhaul and a reg box,not an expensive fix I upgraded my fordson major with an alternator.
Martyn

Mark.Rive

Post #9 by Mark.Rive » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:58 pm

time travel wrote:

Wow this is cool, some really nice poster/ people :-)

Just a few jobs todo and then down to the back paddock.

What I forgot to ask would that be a postive or negative feed to the starter?

Thanks all
John

She'll be negative earth John :thumbup: so you will have a positive feed from the battery down to the large connection stud on the starter. Do all the starter connections first, then fit the positive battery lead, then the neg side. Save's any embarrassment, welding of spanners or the last old chestnut. machine trundling around the paddock with you on the loader arms :dizzy: Mark

Topic author
time travel

Post #10 by time travel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:46 am

Hi

I have updated the post :-)

Many thanks Martyn for the links I did not have the operator file :thumbup:

Besides the inner dash board controls on page 2 my dash has only a starter switch and green light on the far left top of the dash board. This has the red wire from the starter switch going to it.

-----------------------------

Wiring update:

There are four brown wires.
One White/red stripe
One Green/black stripe (not connected in dash been cut) Not sure of it function?
One Brown/Black stripe (alternator or dynamo side)

Two brown go to a single brown on the key switch.

Alternator/dynamo three connections:
Two brown go to the into a double plug (male) On to the top and one to the bottom. Both holes have a + sign and

the top connection has a sign IND and it is a spade connector Brown/Black stripe. This goes back to the some form of green button on dash that can be pushed in.
It (green button) also has a red wire from the key switch connected to it and a earth wire.

you were right Mark re the white/red goe to a white/yellow which connects to the key switch. Thanks

So the starter switch has three connections:
Brown
White/Yellow
red

I am getting a little excited :-)

John

Return to “Tech Talk”