hi new on here need some help with a MF 50 Diggerd from pepole that know what there talking about :)

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
clouty

hi new on here need some help with a MF 50 Diggerd from pepole that know what there talking about :)

Post #1 by clouty » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi

starting to build a house so been doing some adding up and its going to be cheaper for me to buy a digger as I can use it for every thing from digging tracks to unloading pallets to putting up kit sections.

Any way I live in Orkney island of the very top of Scotland and iv come across this MF 50 digger its A reg so 1983/84 year. it looks in good nick it a 4x4 model with the two peddles push one go forward push other go back. iv never owned a digger b4 I have driven jcbs and a few track ones but nothing for any long lenth of time is there any warning signs I should look out for when I go back to look at it all the rams look good and no rust on them there is four buckets come with it and a set of toes that you stick on and can drop the bucket of as its not a 4in1 so even better for me as you will be able to see what your trying to pick up. tyres are half worn so there fine cabs a bit tatty but don’t care about that. the guy said he just loaded an old Dexter the other week and it was about 1.5 ton and it lifted it onto a trailer no bother the guy has loads of stuff there he works on so he seems genuine and knows what hes talking about so any help would be very goog

Thanks clouty

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: hi new on here need some help with a MF 50 Diggerd from pepole that know what there talking about :)

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi Adam and welcome to CMN :thumbup:
I have limited knowledge on MF machines, but it does sound as if you have a 50D there ... i drove one for a few months back in the early 80's and to be honest i could not fault it back then, only snag i found with it was the front bucket size, a bit small in capacity... but i am sure others will come along shortly and can give you better info than i can.

Martyn

Topic author
clouty

Re: hi new on here need some help with a MF 50 Diggerd from pepole that know what there talking about :)

Post #3 by clouty » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 pm

thanks for the welcome :)

ya front bucket is a little small but if i get it ill only be picking away for my sell anyway so hid will do me :) just wondered if they were good things been looking about on the net and dont think iv seen a bad word yet :) what do you think a digger as i stated would be worth?

Clouty

jcb4cx

Post #4 by jcb4cx » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:15 pm

check the slew motor ,make sure it has plenty of power in it and it is not weak and drifts
the two pedal set up i have not had much experiance of ,but check for unusual noise's etc when going from forwards to reverse etc
cheers graham
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
clouty

Post #5 by clouty » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:38 pm

right graham will i just push and pull her down with the backhoe see if its fit to lift its sell and push its sell??

Thanks

jcb4cx

Post #6 by jcb4cx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:14 am

see if it will pick itself up on the backhoe ,with the front bucket down ,if it does slew it left and right a bit keep an eye out for play / wear
it should slew its self about a bit and load the engine in trying to do so
you could also jack it right up on one leg and reach straight out with the backhoe and see if it holds it there ,all best done when warmed right up to working temps
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
clouty

Post #7 by clouty » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 am

thanks very much nice handy tips :) :) BIG help :)

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:56 am

MF 50's are a good machine,we had a few at the place I worked at.The only problem we had with them was the type you are looking at.The forward reverse clutch pack played up,signs are clunking and noise. .They are a solid machine with a lot of grunt.The Perkins engine never gave us trouble.We had problems with the claw on the back acter,one sheared . But even with a breaker on,they did not fall apart like some makes.
Martyn

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:57 am

I would agree with those that have said get it up to working temperatures. I don't know diddly about these but anything driven by oil or hydraulics in general are more likely to show a weakness when warmed up.

Topic author
clouty

Post #10 by clouty » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 am

thanks Martyn

ill check this all out hopefully be going to look at it on Wednesday the guy who has it drove it home from where he got it which was about 20 miles with no hassle. only reason he is selling is because his job is not secure so he is not going ahead with his shed build.

thanks essexpete

Anyone have a ruff idea how long it will take to get up to working temp?

Thanks Guys

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”