Hydraulic oil shooting up from gearbox

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
steve-h

Hydraulic oil shooting up from gearbox

Post #1 by steve-h » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:09 pm

after browsing the manual which was kindly shown to me by another member, we do have an issue with our jcb3cx 1984, once started the engine is overheating and blowing hydraulic oil back up through the dipstick on the gearbox? any ideas on where to start looking would be much appreciated steve

essexpete

Re: Hydraulic oil shooting up from gearbox

Post #2 by essexpete » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Start with obvious and make sure both the oil cooler and rad are externally clean. It is easy to miss a blocked rad behind the trans cooler.
Try that first unless you have already done that.

Topic author
steve-h

Post #3 by steve-h » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:27 pm

hi thanks i will try that now and get back to you thanks steve.

Topic author
steve-h

Post #4 by steve-h » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:02 pm

hi i have checked the rad its clean, cant seem to find the oil cooler, it may have been removed? the one thing i have noticed is that the dipstick on the gearbox seems to showing be full up or too full and the tank that holds the hydraulic oil seems to be empty, any more info you can help with would be great as the mystery deepens. thanks steve

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Perhaps some one can specifically tell you the correct way to check the oil. Most T/Con transmissions require the engine to be run at fast idle for a few minutes then you stop and immediately dip the transmission. In some cases this can be carried out with the engine running.
On initial start up the oil level will drop as it is pumped around and the convertor fills. It might just be that some one has over filled the system.
The hydraulic system will be completely separate and require a different oil.

Topic author
steve-h

Post #6 by steve-h » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:56 pm

hi i have just checked in with the guy that we bought the machine from, he recalls that the oil cooler was removed for some reason or another, and that a new one is required, fortunatly he is dropping one in for us so i think this will solve our problem hopefully. Thanks for the advice i really appreciate it and i will post a reply to let you know if this works and i can start digging again. Thanks steve

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”