Poclain with electro-magnet; but what model?

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Poclain with electro-magnet; but what model?

Post #1 by Gavin Phillips » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:13 pm

Well here is something I haven't seen for a while...

An old Poclain rehandling excavator fitted with an electro-magnet sits in the grounds of the former Hawthorn Leslie's shipyard on the banks of the river Tyne. Now I'm not quite sure the date at which the yard closed, but for years it was left for Mother Nature to gradually reclaim the site in her own fashion. That all changed a couple of years ago when three long reach excavators (2 Hitachi's and a Komatsu) moved in and began removing the silt out of one of the old ship berths. Exactly what they were up to, I never found out. A couple of months later, everything was taken off-site and once again the yard fell silent.

Now this machine turns up, which could signify something else is about to begin. Perhaps the old fabrication buildings are to be demolished? Who knows, but its something worth keeping an eye on.

If anyone could hazard a guess at what model of Poclain it is, then I'd be greatful. It would seem to be the right size for either an 85, or a 90. The 85CKB was mentioned before but there did seem some uncertainty in the matter! I have tried contacting G O'Briens before but never got a reply from them.

Best regards

Gavin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

newjcb123uk

Re: Poclain with electro-magnet; but what model?

Post #2 by newjcb123uk » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:18 pm

My gut feeling is that it's more of a 90 :think:

My own photo shows another scrap yard favourite ( A glimpse into something special thats happening soon ;) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Re: Poclain with electro-magnet; but what model?

Post #3 by Gavin Phillips » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:46 pm

For a moment I almost thought that was a real Hymac with magnet (580C?). Wow, very impressive weathering!

Best of luck with the project!

Best regards

Gavin
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”