filter separator or sedimenter between tank and lift pump?

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
si25

filter separator or sedimenter between tank and lift pump?

Post #1 by si25 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:31 am

I am about to replace a small gauze filter sedimenter with a filter separator (522 element) between the tank and lift pump on a 13ton hitachi. i have been told that such a set up will not work and will just empty the fuel in the filter and cut out, the filter separator needs to be between the lift pump and main filter.
firstly, is this true? secondly, once bled, it should run untill the filter blocks up regardless of the seperator or sedimenter?
if anyone "gets my drift" and can enlighten me i would be most obliged!
many thanks. si25
"toy soldier"

RichardJW~

Re: filter separator or sedimenter between tank and lift pum

Post #2 by RichardJW~ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:32 am

The lift pump will pull it through the filter unless it's blocked.

I have seen SEPAR filters used on a number of applications pre-lift pump, so can't see why it won't work in your instance

http://www.separ.co.uk/index.php?option ... &Itemid=76

Julian

Post #3 by Julian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:41 am

si25 wrote:I am about to replace a small gauze filter sedimenter with a filter separator (522 element) between the tank and lift pump on a 13ton hitachi. i have been told that such a set up will not work and will just empty the fuel in the filter and cut out, the filter separator needs to be between the lift pump and main filter.
firstly, is this true? secondly, once bled, it should run untill the filter blocks up regardless of the seperator or sedimenter?
if anyone "gets my drift" and can enlighten me i would be most obliged!
many thanks. si25

I don't think there's a yes or no answer. Certainly a lift pump will pull through a filter that's in good condition. But, everything that I can think of that's sat around my home, massey 575, 135, ERFE12, excavator etc all have the filters after the lift pump. I'd tend to follow the tried and tested methods employed by the manufacturers.

Julian.

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:49 pm

The only thing that might affect it is the flow of fuel,if the filter is very fine,it may block up that much faster.But at least your fuel will be cleaner as it enters the pump.
I can remember trying out different strainers on a Ford 550.They had a strainer fitted in the fuel tap.We fitted a finer mesh,this caused another fault as the strainer had to be cleaned a lot more often.We went back to the standard strainer .
Also we tried modified fuel strainers on diesel locomotive,they were finer and caused a slight drop in fuel pressure.
It should be ok for you,the only way is to try it out.I would agree with Julian and stick with the manufactures set and and maintain the standard filters as recommended by the manufacturers
Martyn

RichardJW~

Post #5 by RichardJW~ » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:52 pm

is your Hitachi a tier 3 engine....because they're the ones that need the 'extra' attention

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by Neversweat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:34 pm

In the "olden days" most trucks had a sediment bowl next to the fuel tank.In fact early Dodge Commandos the bracket was on the fuel tank with the glass jam jar type fitted to it.
If it gets blocked you will soon know by the fuel starvation :thumbdown:

Steve

Topic author
si25

Post #7 by si25 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:30 am

i'm going to just try it with filter sedimenter using a 522 element. we'll see how it goes. i figure if it doesnt, i can pull the filter innerds out and it will work as a plain sedimenter?! we will see....
"toy soldier"

Return to “Tech Talk”