Servicing crawlers that have sat idle...

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
JimInOz
Flag: Australia

Servicing crawlers that have sat idle...

Post #1 by JimInOz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi All,
I have a few questions regarding old crawlers that have sat for extended times in a shed.
For one reason or another,sometimes a crawler will sit in a shed for ,say,a year,without starting,etc.
I'm just wondering if it is better to do an engine service before start up,or better to start the engine with old oil/filters & then do the service.??

While on the subject,should a general trans/finals/Hydraulic service be done before the start up ?

I'm mainly thinking of old Japanese diesel engines/machines.

Any tips or experience is appreciated.I'm worried about causing damage to components upon start up after a long hibernation.

Thanks,
Jim :thumbup:

AussieMF

Re: Servicing crawlers that have sat idle...

Post #2 by AussieMF » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Jim we never had any problem in my old job in the Ag game starting engines and things that had sat idle for a long time providing all levels were correct for water, oil etc. I think a top up of oil and water, run the motor then drop it all after it has run for a bit to warm it up and thin it out a bit, shedded machinery can hold up pretty good at times.
Fuel is probably the big issue it goes stale and gets moisture in it.
1 thing we used to do if possible was to try and semi rotate the motor by crank or a quite hit with the starter motor if it was an unknown to make sure it was locked up.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:17 pm

I would imagine its quite arid and generally dry down under, unlike the UK where it can be quite humid, so long as there is no evidence of water contamination in the oil then there should be no reason why a machine should not be run up and moved.
Even here with all the bad weather we get machines are often left outside in bad weather conditions for long periods and will still start on a fresh set of batteries first turn of the key, as already mentioned the only real problem you may encounter could be with fuel, but a fresh set of fuel filters with some fresh fuel pumped through will sort that.

Jeremy

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:58 pm

What I do is,start up and run the engines every month.This helps to keep the bores lubricated.Also with tracked machines,if you can run them back and forth and slew them a few times to avoid sticking clutch packs and brakes.And seals
At the end of the rally season,usually late October.Check antifreeze strength in your machines.Anti freeze deteriorates over time.Just because it looks like good antifreeze,it may not be effective.
Its also best to park your tracked machines on planks or a hard standing.
On tractors fitted with magnetos,it is wise to remove them and keep them in a dry warm place.
This avoids the internals getting damp.
On Caterpillar machines,D2 and D4 for example.If they are not filled with antifreeze and just drained,remember water can be trapped in the donkey engine in the water jacket below the cylinder heads.It is best to slacken of the heads and drain remaining water.
Also I would recommend that fuel tanks are filled as condensation gathers in a nearly empty fuel tank.
After a long shut down,run the engine to warm it through and not put it underload straight away.I would give it a good service at the start of its working season,Checking all oil levels and give it a good greasing.Also adjust brakes.
Martyn

Topic author
JimInOz

Post #5 by JimInOz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks for all the tips .
I realise that one should do a "hibernation" service before parking a machine up...but sometimes it just don't happen.
Martyn touched on my main concern....bore lubrication in the engine.I wondered about starting up an engine that has been sitting so long.
Luckily my machines are in a shed & in a dry climate.

I hope you UK blokes are getting good weather now....a friend in Richmond tells me of temps around 11.
Ash,I hope your projects are going OK.

Jim

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:24 am

Hello Jim
The weather is improving with the temp. starting to climb to around 11 c.Hopefully we will get a good summer in the UK after what seems like ages of cold winter.
Another thing that can damage engines is oil that has not been changed for a long time.This will damage bearings.
Started progressing my projects,the mag off the TD 6 has gone for servicing.The D4 is progressing steady and the 933 will be progressed over the next few weeks.
Got a few projects in the pipeline as well,already been booked into vintage shows as far as October.Will be trying to raise funds for cancer research this year.
Its great to meet up with some great people with the same interests,looking forward to meet up with some of the gang off CMN :thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
JimInOz

Post #7 by JimInOz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 am

Martyn,
Thanks for the advice.
I think I'll start up the engines & then do the oil/fuel services.

Did you see the Redpower posting from the bloke in the UK...about the T6 crawlers he bought.?
It appears that there's not many IH TD crawlers in your neck of the woods.

Jim

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello Jim
There are not many TD6's around that I know of.I was offered a BTD6 crawler from the same friend.But it would need a lot of money thrown at it as it had a tired engine and worn out running gear.The TD6 looked the better buy,but,it has cost a bit more than I intended to get its problems sorted out.
The plough it was used with is next to the machine.It looks a hefty 4 furrow plough that must have made it work hard.
I have had a lot of help from the REDPOWER boys over the years.
Thats whats its all about,helping each other.
I was up on a B100 yesterday, a fitter who works for a good mate of mine is doing a strip down.The left hand side bearings and gears are clapped out so he is doing a rebuild.Just give him a few pointers on the strip down.Did not have my camera with me.
They were dragging the machine into the workshop as we had heavy rain again.
Regards
Martyn

Topic author
JimInOz

Post #9 by JimInOz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:50 pm

Martyn,
Those TD6 & BTD6 are my favourite IH crawlers.I think they push very well for their size.I probably favour the BTD6 because of the normal 264 diesel engine.
I used a BTD6 to clean out my muddy dam....couldn't believe what it pushed in slippery conditions.I like the rev range the IH dozers work at...
Good luck with your TD6.

Jim

martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks Jim
I agree,the BTD6 is a great tractor.It will be interesting to see how the TD6 performs.I would love to give it a good workout on a plough.Its an interesting machine with its start up on petrol and run on diesel.
I love working on machines of different makes and learning things about them.Been lucky to work on all types of machines from steam rollers to 3300hp locomotives.
Regards
Martyn

Return to “Tech Talk”