Mortimer Manufacturing Ltd/Stothert & Pitt/ JCB????

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
IBH

Mortimer Manufacturing Ltd/Stothert & Pitt/ JCB????

Post #1 by IBH » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:33 pm

For my sins I was Googling for information about Stothert & Pitt compaction equipment and the website of Mortimer Manufacturing Limited came up and its appears that they are producing products which appear to be derived from older Stothert & Pitt compaction equipment product lines? Can anyone shed any light on this?
Some of their current model numbers and name are very similar to old Stothert & Pitt products mentioned on their site.
Mortimer produce single drum pedestrian rollers, roller trailers, towed vibratory roller, power barrow, floor saws and turf cutters.
On the spares side they offer:
''Full range of spare parts for Mortimer, Stothert & Pitt, MOXY, Compair and RJE Dumpers.
Roller spares for Mortimer, Stothert & Pitt, Bomag and Benford Rollers''.
they also refurb and remanufacture small rollers.
http://www.mortimer-manufacturing.com
Last edited by IBH on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

martyn williams

Re: Mortimer Manufacturing Ltd- Successor to Stothert & Pitt????

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:56 pm

I spent 3 weeks as S & P in the early 1980's on courses on compaction equipment.The numbering system may be the same,eg a S & P W71 roller is 71cm wide roll. A 55 may be a 55 cm roll
Regards
Martyn

Topic author
IBH

Re: Mortimer Manufacturing Ltd- Successor to Stothert & Pitt????

Post #3 by IBH » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:43 pm

Firstly I've found a Contract Journal reference saying Mortimer did buy the Stothert & Pitt range dated to the year 2000:
Mortimer is another company that responded to customer requests to produce a clear-sided pedestrian vibrating asphalt roller. "Customers kept asking for a unit which would compact driveways right up to the party wall," said sales director Julian Green, who claimed this was the only unit of its type of the UK market. Mortimer has recently acquired the rights to the former Stothert & Pitt roller range and the Vibroll name was on new models at SED.
Source 'Dig The New Breed' CJ 14th June 2000
http://www.contractjournal.com/Articles ... breed.html

I have a hunch, that I'd like to put to the members of this forum and hopefully someone in the know will be able prove/disprove it.
It is that the single drum rollers offered by JCB Light Equipment (JCB VMS55 & VMS 71/VMS 71-20) are the same as, or the successors to the Mortimer Vibroll 55 and 71 range of single drum rollers.
Unfortunately the Mortimer website has gone dead, but I have been able to source some images for comparison.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

newjcb123uk

Re: Mortimer Manufacturing Ltd/Stothert & Pitt/ JCB????

Post #4 by newjcb123uk » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:55 pm

It just has to be - Its exactly the same :wtf:
"A man reaps what he sows"

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:12 pm

HI.
Correct me if I'm wrong, its a long time ago, but I think it was Mortimer who took over production of the rollers made by Atkinsons of Clitheroe. I'm not sure I think it was in the late 80s. I did some work on a couple of them,
they had an all gear drive train.

Fred

Topic author
IBH

Post #6 by IBH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Not paving equipment per se, but this is the only existing thread I could find for Mortimer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
IBH

Post #7 by IBH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Stothert & Pitt- Contractor's Plant Division. 'The Vibroll Range' basic specs of unknown age and completness:

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Hello Fred
The firm I worked for were agents for Atkinson,I think Greens of Leeds preceded Atkinson. We had big problems with Atkinson rollers in particular with the vibrating and drive side on new machines.We were kept busy carring out modifications as the components on the clutch as it use to fall apart after a very short time of work. We then moved onto the more successfull S & P rollers .
Martyn

siruncle

Post #9 by siruncle » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 pm

IBH wrote:Not paving equipment per se, but this is the only existing thread I could find for Mortimer:

Just to clear this up, Mortimer Manufacturing did make the VMS71, 55's and trailers for JCB, up until M/M went into liquidation, You can still buy the "JCB VMS71 and 55's" direct from Mortimer-Vibroll, but no longer called a VMS71/55, (http://www.mortimer-vibroll.co.uk/) and all the parts M/M supplied are still available, I can tell you this, as i've made about 80% of the VMS71's, and all of the 55's. They don't make dumpers anymore, but will still cover the spares for them, and still make the Power Barrows, Turf Cutters and Floor saw's, Its also possible to get your old 55/57/71 roller refurbished (benford-terex/bomag/compair/stothert-pitt/mortimer) , and to be honest, you get them back pretty much as new, and if you had your roller before 2006 (painted), the finish is now powdercoat, so they actually look better. We also now make and repair fencing, gates, and other metal fabrications.
The plastic tanks are the same as those fitted to the earlier mortimer rollers (N71).

Hope this clears everything up for you all.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #10 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:54 am

Hi,
Whilst on the Mortimer /S&P/ Atkinson connection. Who knew that Atkinsons of Clitheroe actualy produced a Heavy three pointer :?: :?:
Fred
Atkinson.JPG

Return to “Paving Equipment”