Retro Grading Gets a New Shop

Discuss earthmoving models here

Topic author
alan627b

Retro Grading Gets a New Shop

Post #1 by alan627b » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:14 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground broken and walls are up on Retro Grading's new Cat shop, much needed since the acquisition of new larger machinery last year. A 657G or a D11R CD will fit through the doors, my operation outgrew it's old Quonset hut!
New shop is 60'W X 94'L X 22'H (in 1/48th scale)
Actually, this is the first of several buildings I'm going to make to display my model collection, this one was made from the drawers that were under an old storage/bed being thrown away.
The Cat dealer structure that comes next wil be a bit more ambitious project, with even larger doors and taller roof to allow anything up to a 994 or 5110 through the openings. I'm either going to try building a shop crane, or see if one of the O scale train manufacturers has something I can adapt.
If anybody has any suggestions on details to make it more realistic, feel free to submit them here. Pics appreciated too.
If I can't build a shop for my real Cats right now, this will have to do!
alan627b
Chief Operating Officer, The Retro Grading Company
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Retro Grading, We Do Modern Jobs with Antique Machinery

Modelmaniac

Re: Retro Grading Gets a New Shop

Post #2 by Modelmaniac » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:12 pm

Looks good.
You will have to get some of the Preiser figures to really compliment it.Will there be any roads?
cheers
mik

Topic author
alan627b

Post #3 by alan627b » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:04 am

I intend to build a diorama with this someday. It's like a model railroad layout, it's never really finished! This one is just getting started.
I built a dsiplay board before, but wasn't satified with it. Scrapped it and will start over.
My Cat dealer structure is going to be much larger than this one, I want to be able to fit my larger models through the doors.
Someone pointed out on another forum, that this building isn't large enough to get the lowboys inside either......you can see the problem!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nick lamb

Post #4 by nick lamb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 pm

I hope you have building reg's and work permits for these mate! ;) :lol:

Topic author
alan627b

Post #5 by alan627b » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 pm

Permits? I don need noo steenkeeng permits! :lol:
alan

Topic author
alan627b

Post #6 by alan627b » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:40 am

Progress has been slow on this project, I went to a model train show last weekend and found a crane I can make work for the shop. I can't find an overhead crane in 1/48 (O) scale, but I found one in HO that will work in the "little" shop.
I went to the hobby stores today and picked up most of the supplies I'l need to adapt this kit to my shop building, and build the supports for the rail the crane runs on. I'm also going to build a couple of swing arm cranes in the shop, so the "fitters" won't get hernias!
If anybody wants to post pics of their shop, I'll take all the ideas I can get. Little details make the difference.
Similar to these. I have to lengthen this one by about 3 1/2 inches, I'll leave the operators cab off the model. it's a 1/87 scale model of a 150? ton Brownhoist, but it looks right for a 1/48 scale 40 or so ton jobber. Perspective of scale and all that.
alan627b

Topic author
alan627b

Post #7 by alan627b » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:54 am

What the heck, here are the pics from the train show. Everybody likes models, right?
These are all tiny N scale models, by the way! The locomotives have working lights with variable intensity, and full sounds! Including the air starter when power is switched on to the locomotive!
Last edited by alan627b on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
alan627b

Post #8 by alan627b » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:01 am

More pictures.

Topic author
alan627b

Post #9 by alan627b » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:09 am

Next few are G or garden scale. The diesels were about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long.

Topic author
alan627b

Post #10 by alan627b » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:21 am

HO scale tractor dealership.
N scale road job.
N scale Union Station.
The last 2 or of Z scale trains, extremely small but still very expensive. The pics don't show them well, but this little layout had all sorts of LED lighting. It is supposed to represent 29 Palms AFB? Marine? base in California. The locomotives are next to a real US penny.
last, an unknown manufacturer, N scale 631D/E scraper and other machinery. All metal.

Return to “Earthmoving models”