Hymac 580BT 1969

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac 580BT 1969

Post #161 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:00 am

While the Poclain was drying in the sun I decided to tackle a job that has needed doing for a while now on the Hymac, one of the two steel pipes which feeds the left hand track drive motor had sprung a leak, I had already noticed that it had been hastily brazed up at some time in the past, however I have asked for a new pipe to be made up as once it was removed I found that it had been crushed at some point in the machines life. These pipes are not in the easiest of places to access and I ended up with my right arm soaking in hydraulic oil.

Some of the other flexi-hoses don't look too clever either so I can see more work ahead here in the future but I wanted to focus on getting the steel pipe replaced first.

The main issue is that the hydraulic oil drains down through the system once you remove this pipe, fortunately I have a bung of that thread so I was able to seal the connector where the pipe fastens onto, I also had to bung up the track drive motor or the oil would also leak through that, looking forward to a nice new pipe to fit back onto the machine.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #162 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Having said that I wanted to concentrate on the Poclain, when I arrived up there yesterday the weather was initially too wet to start any painting so I decided to press on with some more work on the Hymac. The four feed hoses to the rotary coupling were starting to look rather rough and as I had a set ready to hand I decided to fit them.
This is not the easiest of jobs they are a bit of a pig to say the least but while the machine was still propped up on a bit of wood, this meant that the angle of the digger would help to prevent the loss of hydraulic oil, which on the older Hymac machines would run through and empty the system. After doing this I also removed another rough hose which I have to get made up and measured two others which when made I will fit them all at the same time, this made more sense as the oil was now drained from the rotary coupling.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #163 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:29 pm

With me being temporarily unable to spray paint the Poclain I decided to try and get the Hymac back together as she has been in pieces for the last few weeks now; the flexi-hoses that I had ordered arrived in the week and the steel track drive motor pipe had also been repaired so I set about sorting it out.
I changed the three flexi-hoses first then fitted the repaired steel pipe, this work is not easy as you are on your back under the machine or peering down between the two boom hoist rams to get to the rotary distributor, by the end of the day the job was done although I have not had time to top up the hydraulic oil or even run her up to check for leaks but at least she is together again.

Jeremy

v1230nm
Flag: Great Britain

Post #164 by v1230nm » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Always good to read how your restoration projects are going. Interesting reading and good clear photos.

Neil. (v1230nm)

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #165 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:31 pm

v1230nm wrote:Always good to read how your restoration projects are going. Interesting reading and good clear photos.

Neil. (v1230nm)

Thanks Neil :thumbup: I have enjoyed the work I do on these machines and am slowly but surely getting there; it was five years ago to the day that I purchased this Hymac, you can see the progress by just looking at the photos of what she looked like when I bought her.

She is a fairly straight machine but the undercarriage does need some TLC so I will hopefully look at that in due time, like any large job I just do it a bit at a time.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #166 by essexpete » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:08 pm

Well done Jeremy. Do you stay oop there over the weekend?

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #167 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:43 pm

essexpete wrote:Well done Jeremy. Do you stay oop there over the weekend?

No Peter, the only time I stay up there is usually on a working event as there is a lot of work to do getting the machines ready for action and other work to help get the event setup, so my working time in general is one day a week at best so I make the best of that one day and try and get as much good work done as possible, I like to go back home feeling happy that I have accomplished some of the restoration tasks from off the 'to do list' in my mind.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #168 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:01 pm

Well the latest lockdown took away the last few days of this year for decent weather or the chance to finish painting and repairing the Poclain bodywork; I took my first trip up to the machines yesterday but this was not to carry out any restoration work.

I finally topped up the hydraulic oil on the 580BT to replace oil lost during the track drive hose repairs and added some anti-freeze to the coolant system because what was in there had become a bit watered down due to the slight drip that was on the engine block drain tap.

My intention was to run up the 580BT and the Poclain to put some charge into the batteries before the real cold weather hits us and to make sure that the machines were ready for the winter, which I managed to accomplish before the rain set in for the rest of the day; naturally I have plans as to what work will be carried out on each machine in the future, will just have to see how things pan out. Once I had done the work I spent the rest of the day assisting Andrew and his team working on one of his more recent acquisitions.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #169 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 06, 2022 7:12 pm

With the Poclain fully functional and painted (although there are still a few odd bits to tidy on her) I managed to quickly turn my attention to the 580BT which there is still plenty of outstanding items of work that require attention.
One of the daft little jobs that can easily get overlooked is that of the air filter, now on this machine it is not a paper element type but an oil bath filter, it was probably back around 1981/82 when I last cleaned out and serviced an oil bath type filter (on a Bedford TK) so now was my chance to service this air filter. Naturally the thing was well and truly full of muck but I was able to clean out the element which is full of wire using old dirty fuel oil. Once cleaned I used some fresh clean engine oil to top it up to the correct level and reassemble the whole thing, another job done out of the way. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Andy80
Flag: Sweden

Post #170 by Andy80 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:33 am

Nice work! have heard of a couple of Hymac that had the engine completely destroyed coused of water in the airfilter. I was very close my self, but luckily the engine survived.
So allways good to keep it in good shape :)

Return to “Excavators”