Hymac 580BT 1969

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac 580BT 1969

Post #151 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 pm

essexpete wrote:I take it that the engine is running in the photo by the rain cap?

Correct I'd just fired her up for a play and to check that the work carried out was good. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #152 by essexpete » Fri May 22, 2020 8:29 pm

Not much smoke then!

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #153 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat May 23, 2020 6:52 pm

essexpete wrote:Not much smoke then!

Sometimes she smokes a little on start up but generally runs with little or no smoke. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #154 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:12 am

I made another trip up there yesterday and started to tackle some of the electrical problems, the main issue is that as the machine had stood with a rotten cab roof that has lots of holes in it, the water had got into the dashboard. When I first had the machine, I had temporarily covered the holes with glass fibre repair until I either replace the roof or get a better cab, but I decided to look at some of the dashboard issues which were; the ignition light only works part time, the oil warning light did not work at all and both of the warning gauges are not working.

The ignition light fault was a bad connection but I replaced the complete lamp with a good used one, the ammeter was totally naff having once had water in it, I replaced that with a second hand one that I had in my possession, the oil warning light had two problems, a bad connection and the sender unit was naff. Andrew kindly let me have a sender which he had in stock and the connection was made good.

I then used a couple of cans of specially mixed aerosol paint on some of the already fading paintwork, I still feel that I did not achieve all that I could have yesterday but nonetheless every job done is another one off the never ending list. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #155 by essexpete » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:30 am

Jeremy I have tried to pm you but not sure if it went through. Nothing showing in sent or outbox.
Peter

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #156 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:23 pm

essexpete wrote:Jeremy I have tried to pm you but not sure if it went through. Nothing showing in sent or outbox.
Peter

Nope nowt in my inbox so I don't know what went wrong but I will pm you then you can reply to that all being well. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #157 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:32 am

Well I did make the trip up there last Thursday; I have been avoiding big jobs on my machines in case I can't get seals and bits 'n' bobs etc. although to be fair I ought to be able to get what I need. Doubtless I will be back at full time work next month; I had wanted to try and get some painting done but the weather put paid to that.
When I got there this last Thursday it was chucking it down and did not stop until mid morning so I helped Andrew and a couple of the lads up there with one of Andrew's tractors that was under cover. I then was looking at issues with the big Ruston RH220 that is not charging and the starter motor has packed up, the alternator is okay but the starter has been removed and I stripped it for repair, the brush plate was rusted to hell preventing the brushes from contact with the commutator, a friend of Tony Wilson up there will fit a new brush plate for me.
I could do with looking at the starter on the Poclain too, sometimes she spins on the flywheel ring gear instead of engaging so I'm guessing that is either the solenoid on top of the starter that's at fault or the mechanism is corroded, another job on the 'to do' list.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #158 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:00 pm

Once again another trip with rain to start with :x oh well; so far as the 580BT is concerned I have only run her up, however I have a sneaking suspicion that the internal diesel leak is back :thumbdown: I am hoping to get up there this week so I will double check this, I had wanted to crack on and get the Poclain bucket ram seal done but this may be delayed further if I have to tackle this issue again.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #159 by essexpete » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:06 am

Nuisance Jeremy.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #160 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Right then back to the 580BT; ahem! as per usual things did not go to plan and the bits for the Poclain were not ready for collection, plus I am in the process of fitting a starter motor to the Ruston (but that's another longer story)
Anyhow I decided it was time to tackle a small but irritating job on the Hy-mac which had been bugging me since I first bought the machine, the engine block drain tap has a slight leak.

I had purchased a new tap that was left in my toolbox ready for the task at hand so after finding a suitably clean plastic bucket and watering can I set about draining the engine coolant. The tap came out no problem whatsoever; but of course it's never that simple is it? :x I applied some PTFE tape to the new taps thread and fitted it, not over tightening it.

Right, puts the coolant back in and I then find the tap is slowly dripping from the thread :x oh well; I drain the coolant now for the second time :roll: and take out the tap, to be fair PTFE tape can 'bunch up' so Andrew kindly let me have a drop of his thread sealing compound. After waiting endlessly for the last drips of coolant to disappear so I could dry the internal thread, I applied the compound and refitted the tap, great I think as I pour the coolant back in. This time though I had the sense not to refill the cooling system but just put a drop in; good job too as it was still dripping although not as badly.
By now my patience was starting to wear rather thin as I contemplated my options; solution was found but not what I had wanted, I stuck a plug in there, no leaks now thank goodness.
I forgot to mention that I had checked the engine oil level and am now happy that she is not putting any diesel in the engine oil so that's a bonus. :thumbup: I did run her up to working temperature to check that the bung was not leaking any coolant which thankfully it wasn't.

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”