1987 JCB 1400B / tech advice /Operators Manual

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
fitzm
Flag: Ireland

1987 JCB 1400B / tech advice /Operators Manual

Post #1 by fitzm » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:50 pm

Hello. I recently acquired a 10 yr dormant 1987 JCB 1400B (Ser No: 14BN2077-329347-7) which came with a service manual & workshop manual (4.236) but no operator's or parts manual. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about diesels/larger backhoes but have been learning exponentially as I have to get it moved off buddy's land in the next two weeks. I've operated smaller machines and a few various bobcats for personal use but nothing too big. As most folks here know an arm & a leg are still not enough to buy these old manuals-the parts one especially. I can't even find an operators manual in English on fleabay. If you search awhile, you can find a few free 1400B service/workshop PDF links but no free "Operators Manual"/"Parts Book". A site called 777parts.net has a comprehensive pay-for parts database if you wanna give them $10 for 24 hrs. Fortunately, they expose a few OE part numbers with the distorted parts diagrams they allow you to see which helps validate some of the correct parts I need. I've been working on the engine predominantly and haven't really traced the function of three push/pull levers in the cab. One of them, a white oblong lever, is right next to front loader controls to the right-front of the seat so that correlation is more obvious. The other two are a horizontal round white one a few inches above the ignition key (start/stop?) and a black vertical oblong lever left of the steering console, a few inches from the windshield. Any links to these two manuals would help me concentrate on more important tasks like trying to get this beast started. Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can provide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
fitzm

Re: 1987 JCB 1400B / tech advice /Operators Manual

Post #2 by fitzm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:12 am

Well, I figured ten days should prolly have been enough time to get someone that could answer these seemingly fairly simple questions. I didn't realize when I posted that there aren't that many folks that use this forum any longer. I did figure out that the white lever next to the loader lever and emergency brake is a kill switch cable attached to the injector pump. I was also able to access JCB's UK residents only parts database online using my VPN. I have hundreds of screenshots of every single part of my 1400B now if anyone needs a copy. A free copy of an operators manual is still elusive however.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 am

fitzm wrote:Well, I figured ten days should prolly have been enough time to get someone that could answer these seemingly fairly simple questions. I didn't realize when I posted that there aren't that many folks that use this forum any longer. I did figure out that the white lever next to the loader lever and emergency brake is a kill switch cable attached to the injector pump. I was also able to access JCB's UK residents only parts database online using my VPN. I have hundreds of screenshots of every single part of my 1400B now if anyone needs a copy. A free copy of an operators manual is still elusive however.

John, sadly we do have fewer of us these days and some people just pop in from time to time, thanks for your replies I am sure they may just help somebody else in the future. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
fitzm

Post #4 by fitzm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:36 am

Well evidently while going screenshot crazy copying every pic/part number on JCB's web site, I missed a page. The Body link that contained the Bonnet (hood) components revealed the black lever in the last pic above as the cable release lever. Someone removed it 20+ years ago. My "bonnet" just lifts up to locked position without releasing anything. Closing it is a simple flick of the support mechanism. Two down, one to go :thumbup:. The first pic above, the white push/pull lever, is frozen solid (pushed in). I may have to pull dash apart for this last one.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”