Wacker pedestrian roller problem

Discuss pavers, rollers, mills and other paving equipment here

Topic author
mambo
Flag: Great Britain

Wacker pedestrian roller problem

Post #1 by mambo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 am

So I’ve got a roller I’ve not used for about 5 years
It’s beed stood under a tarp just as it was last used.

I dragged it out today to use and can’t get it to start, it turns over freely when decompression is engaged but doesn’t fire up when the lever drops into the start position

I tried a shot of easy start in the primer port on top of the cylinder head first, which produced 1 turn and a puff of white smoke. Tried a few more times and not getting anywhere so cracked off the high pressure fuel line at the injector. No fuel comes out while cranking, but if I pull the return pipe on the low pressure side of the pump fuel pours out.

If I crank it over with the return pipe off, the stream of fuel that’s coming out glugs like the pump is operating

Any help would be much appreciated

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Wacker pedestrian roller problem

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi,
Probably an injector pump problem.
Sounds to me the delivery valve is stuck. Take off the injector pipe then screw out the fitting that the pipe was attatched to.
Take care as there is a spring and plunger behind the fitting. That is the delivery valve plunger and it may be stuck, if so carefully use a point nose plyers and you should be able to free it and that should sort it out. :thumbup:
If however this valve is free take off the fuel feed and undo the three nuts holding the pump. Pull out the pump, (you may have to move the throttle lever as it comes out).
You will see the rack with the ball joint attatchet, this should slide freely from side to side. Be careful that the ball engages in its socket when refitting the pump and replace all shims as found.
On the inner end of the pump you will find a plunger with a roller attatched. Make sure it is not stuck in.
You should be able to push it in against the spring pressure which will then return it.
Let us know how you get on.

Fred

Topic author
mambo

Post #3 by mambo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:25 pm

Ok thanks Fred sounds like it may be an easy fix but I had to go hire a wacker for the job I needed it for now. I’ll have a look at it when I get a chance, may be a week or two but I’ll definitely report back
And thanks for the very comprehensive reply it will be very helpful and much appreciated

Thanks Brian

Topic author
mambo

Post #4 by mambo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:33 pm

I’ve takes the whole pump out as I couldn’t get the “fitting” loose. I’ve had it in the vice and applied mild torque to the fitting with a 19mm spanner but no joy do I just need to apply more effort? I’m concerned I may break something, you know. It’s not a left hand thread is it?

The little throttle linkage with the ball on was a little stiff but I’ve given it a light shot of 3in1 and it slides freely now

The little roller at the end spins freely and the plunger it’s attached to does move if I push it against something solid, I’m guessing it’s a tight spring and is designed to have a fair bit of resistance

Topic author
mambo

Post #5 by mambo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:57 pm

I’ve got the fitting out, it took considerable effort with a 2ft breaker bar though.

This is what was inside. All looks good to me, I’m guessing that’s where the o-ring belongs as it was halfway down the thread when I got it out

Does the pump need to be stripped any further? If so what’s the sequence?

Topic author
mambo

Post #6 by mambo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:05 pm

I’ve removed the circlip and there is a pin beneath, can’t see any way of removing it

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Brian the little part with four flutes on it and the spring are the delivery valve components; the rest of the guts of the thing I'm guessing would be a plunger and a rack, part of the rack is the little part with the ball on the end, that looks like it is free. Perhaps Fred may have some words of knowledge and wisdom to guide you here.

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi Brian,
There's no point in stripping the pump any further as there is nothing more you can do yourself.

If everything is free, (and yes the spring behind the plunger is strong), replace the circlip and put the pump back in.
At this stage leave the delivery valve plunger and spring out. Just screw in the fitting witout it, hand tight will do. Then connect the fuel supply/return and make sure it is charged with fuel, then open the throttle.

You will then probably have fuel running from the injector pipe connection on the pump. If not turn the engine quietly and fuel should start to flow. Once the fuel is flowing from here there should be no problem. Replace the valve and springand tighten everrything.
Leave the injector pipe off at the injector end and turn over the engine till you get fuel through.

With any luck it will be fine.
Fred

Topic author
mambo

Post #9 by mambo » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Ok thanks Fred I’ll get back on that next weekend :thumbup:

Thanks again for your help

Whitlock 505

Post #10 by Whitlock 505 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi Gents
I've just restored a stothert v44 roller for a job compacting sub base and I had a nightmare getting the lister ad1 engine to start, once started it would race away as if it was not governing fuel, would not shut off on the start/ run switch either, it had me stumped, looking at that fuel pump it is exactly the same as the one i took apart but it was manufactured by bryce/lucas, Fred is right if you strip it right down you cannot replace anything, long story short I had to buy a new fuel pump and the engine now starts stops and revs up as it should, turned out that the rack was stuck even though the ball and rack were moving and free

Return to “Paving Equipment”