Fowler dozer challenger 3

Discuss dozers here

Topic author
Joe dozer
Flag: Australia

Fowler dozer challenger 3

Post #1 by Joe dozer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:43 pm

Hi joe here need help with steering clutch on challenger 3 any advice would be great thanks joe

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Fowler dozer challenger 3

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:52 pm

Joe dozer wrote:Hi joe here need help with steering clutch on challenger 3 any advice would be great thanks joe

Hi Joe,
You don't say what problem you have with the steering clutch. From memory the main problem was oil tracking from the bevel gear housing into the slew clutch.
The clutch release bearing is mounted on a tube through which the drive shaft passes and oil can pass inside the tube into the clutch. If so there is a cheap fix though you would have to remove the clutch to do the job. At least you wouldn't need any special push pull tools like you would for a "Cat".
I have just spent an hour giving a step by step description of the job only to loose it. :doh: Must have pressed the wrong key :?: :?:

Let us know more about your problem and I'm sure I will be able to help. :thumbup:

Topic author
Joe dozer

Post #3 by Joe dozer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi Fred said that’s the problem oil getting into the clutch just as described your advice would be great thanks Fred looking forward to your reply regards joe

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:44 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:
Joe dozer wrote:Hi joe here need help with steering clutch on challenger 3 any advice would be great thanks joe

Hi Joe,
You don't say what problem you have with the steering clutch. From memory the main problem was oil tracking from the bevel gear housing into the slew clutch.
The clutch release bearing is mounted on a tube through which the drive shaft passes and oil can pass inside the tube into the clutch. If so there is a cheap fix though you would have to remove the clutch to do the job. At least you wouldn't need any special push pull tools like you would for a "Cat".
I have just spent an hour giving a step by step description of the job only to loose it. :doh: Must have pressed the wrong key :?: :?:

Let us know more about your problem and I'm sure I will be able to help. :thumbup:

Fred I did the same a while back now the site times you out and I lost a lot of what I had initially typed up :evil: the best way is to either type it up as a Word document then you have a permanent copy and simply copy and paste it across to this site or make several smaller posts (I know that's a pain but if your not so computer savvy then its an easier way to accomplish the same ends)

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 pm

OK Joe,
To sort this job you must remove the steering clutch. First split the track, remove the sprocket cover,( if still fitted), and then undo the eight bolts securing the sprocket to its hub. Lift out the sprocket and take out all the bolts securing the final drive housing to the hull of the machine, don't forget the bolts under the machine which screw in from behind. Slacken the brake adjustment right off.

The final drive can now be lifted out complete with the brake drum. There are threaded holes in the casing so that you can screw in bolts to jack it off the dowells. It is a heavy lump and needs to come out straight and square, There should be a threaded hole in the top at the point of ballance to allow you to fit a lifting eye, but we prefered to block up level under the casing with timber and slide it out.

When the drive is removed the clutch will be accesible, it will be bolted to the drive shaft with a large cap bolt in the centre and secured by a lock-tab. Release the lock-tab, take out the bolt and you will be able to insert a bar into the bolt-hole and pull the clutch onto the bar then carry it out.

Disconnect the clutch release bearing from its opperating rod,( and greasing tube if fitted), and pull it out. You should then be left with the tube / sleve with the drive shaft through it, which I refered to in the previous post, (the tube and shaft revolve together). This tube is sealed on the outside by a lip seal in the keep plate in the bevel gear housing which is secured , if Iremember rightly, by six bolts. You should be able to obtain a seal from a good seal supplier if you need to change it. If you do be sure to replace any shims as found.

The problem you probably have is that there is no seal between the bore of the tube/sleve and the drive shaft Fowlers used a sealing compound to make this seal and in later tractors they used " Bearing Fit Loctite" so you need to pull out the tube, clean the bore of the tube and the drive shaft with saftey silvent and refit the tube with Loctite. I have on occasion had to warm the tube gentley to release the bond when removing.

You can strip and clean the clutchplates without worrying about the spring tension when you remove the bolts, they strip quite easily.
Reassembly is simply a reversal of the above, but use "Loctite" on the sprocket bolts too. The correct free movement at the clutch lever is 3 inches and 2 inches on the brake pedal.

Good luck.
Fred

FOWLER MAN

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:12 pm

Hello again Joe,
I apologise for not replying to the message you sent but I have had little time for anything these last few weeks. :oops:
The problem you mentioned with the revs increasing and falling away when working up and down slopes is probably due to worn or soft engine mountings. :think:
The engine is resiliently mounted and if the rubber in the mountings is worn that will allow the engine to move altering the throttle setting as the throttle rod will be fixed to the bulkhead which won't move with the engine.
If you can't obtain or fix the mountings and you can live with the engine movement. An alternative might be to make up a throttle cable with the outer fixed one end to the bulkhead and the other end bracketed to the engine. This would eliminate movement at the pump when the engine moves and cure the problem. :think: I have done this successfully with lorries and mobile cranes in the past. :thumbup:
Fred

Topic author
Joe dozer

Post #7 by Joe dozer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:03 am

Hi Fred,

Thanks a lot for your advice, I really appreciate it. I’m looking to dismantle it in the next week or 2 so I’ll let you know how I’m progressing. Do you think I would be right to reuse the same friction plates? Or do you think I should get new ones? If I did need to replace them do you have any suggestions of where I could source some from.

Thanks,
Joe.

Return to “Dozers”