3 cylinder diesel ford engine in Sanderson Fork Lift

Discuss fork lifts here

Topic author
roy.thomas
Flag: Great Britain

3 cylinder diesel ford engine in Sanderson Fork Lift

Post #1 by roy.thomas » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:47 am

Has anyone worked on these engines? Any help would be gratefully received.
Am having problems with this engine. Fork lift has been stood for 2 years. I Can't get any diesel fuel through injector pipes on way to injectors. I purchased a barrel to use as a high up diesel tank, pipe led down to filter and got a good supply of fuel to injection pump when bleeding small (8ml) bleeder, but nothing from the injector pipes to the injectors. Injector pump is CAV
On the picture it shows the injector pump. We took end off and inside was rubber seal, like a flat plate, that covered the complete area. On removal of seal saw steel items and everything looked clean. Thought we may find dirt blockage, but everything was clean. We also put on a new filter as at first thought this could be the problem. :dizzy:

Jeremy Rowland

Re: 3 cylinder diesel ford engine in Sanderson Fork Lift

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi Roy and welcome :wave: I suggest you trawl through some of the threads as some of the engines fitted in the JCB backhoe loaders also use this type of rotary injection pump, there could be several different causes, Fred Evans will be able to point you in the right direction.

Jeremy

kaos
Flag: Iceland

Re: 3 cylinder diesel ford engine in Sanderson Fork Lift

Post #3 by kaos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:00 pm

I think this is the same type of pump as on our Ford digger, though ours is 4 cylinder. Here is the bleeding procedure from the Ford Industrial Tractors 3400, 3500, 3550, 4400 & 4500 Operator Manual:

1. Make sure there is adequate fuel in the tank.
2. Loosen the fuel filter bleed screw on top of the filter. Allow the filter to bleed by gravity until air-free fuel flows from the screw, then retighten the screw.
3. Loosen the injection pump bleed screw. With the diesel engine stop control pulled out, crank the engine until air-free fuel flows from the screw. Then, tighten the screw.
4. Loosen the injector lines at the injectors.
5. With the diesel engine stop control pulled out, crank the engine until air-free fuel flows from each connection. Tighten each connection.

Note where it says that bleeding should be done with the stop control pulled out. I have once run our digger out of fuel, and had not read the instructions carefully enough at the time. I did the bleeding with the stop control in, and while I managed it in the end, it took a lot of cranking and swearing to do. Possibly having the stop pulled out would have made all the difference, but I did not care to repeat the experiment to find out :mrgreen: . Filter replacement b.t.w. is a piece of cake, as the pump remains full of fuel. I.m.e. it is sufficient to bleed the new filter, and then she will start right up.

--
Regards, Kári.

Return to “Fork Lifts”