JCB 3D (3CX) 1988 fitting hammer lines, HELP

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
tdukicz
Flag: Croatia

JCB 3D (3CX) 1988 fitting hammer lines, HELP

Post #1 by tdukicz » Tue May 28, 2019 11:08 pm

Hello everyone,
I have an JCB 3D from 1988. It have single hydraulic pump, and standard non-telescopic rear arm.
I want to put hammer lines onto my machine and I need help very badly from you guys.
My machine doesn't have any hammer lines installed and it never had. I also doesn't have foot pedal for activating hammer.

I bought two used JCB hammer line sets for decent price, and I have no idea could I use any of these two? There are pictures so you can see details.
I would be grateful for any type of help and advice, thanks !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Re: JCB 3D (3CX) 1988 fitting hammer lines, HELP

Post #2 by essexpete » Thu May 30, 2019 12:08 am

You will have to add a spool of some sort and depending on how you plumb it possibly another relief valve for protection. Ultimately I think you might struggle with insufficient oil flow, particularly if you need to operate another service during operation. There must have been a reason why the tandem pumps were fitted?

Topic author
tdukicz

Post #3 by tdukicz » Thu May 30, 2019 12:30 am

So, basically there is no guarantee that machine could put on enough oil flow to run hammer when all pipes are on?
Does anyone have experience with these single hydraulic pumps powering a hammer?

For the record, on a official JCB website there is some basic hammer lines scheme for a 3cx with single pump, and it operates Hammermaster 360.

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Thu May 30, 2019 10:00 am

TBH I have never used a hammer but I assume that the common set up was to allow other service to work properly whilst using the hammer. I guess if you find the hydraulic requirement for a hammer then cross reference with the spec of the standard machine pump. You might have to knock a % off the output due to age and wear.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Fri May 31, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi,
We needed the dual pump on the old 3C to run the larger hammers like the Montabert 250 but the single pump would manage the smaller 125 and similar.
You don't need any thing more than a bit of pipework and the two self sealing couplings to run a hammer on any machine. You can run it off the boom circuit. I have fitted hammers to Hymac, Priestman and JCBs tracked and wheeled this way. It's fine.

All you need to do is " Tee" into the boom down circuit that feeds the top of the boom hoist ram.( Do this where a flexible hose and steel pipe join). Then run steel and / or flexible pipework as required up the boom and down the arm and fit the self sealing coupling connector to the end.
Fit the larger return pipe with its self sealing coupling in the same way to the arm and boom and "Tee" that into the return pipe which takes the exhaust oil from the excavator spool valve block back to the reservoir / tank.
On some machines I would say take care to Tee it in before the return line filter so that the oil is filtered before returning to the reservoir but on your machine the return filter is in the reservoir anyway so you cant go wrong.
The hammer circuit is then correctly filtered, pressure is controlled and the circuit is protected by the main relief valve and boom hoist ARV.

That's it, and you're ready to go.
The digger will perform normally and you will notice no difference until you plug in the hammer couplings.
With the hammer connected things will still be as usual. To use the hammer use the controls normally to place the hammer point where required and continue to hold the boom hoist lever in the down position. The hammer will fire up and feed into the material, as soon as you release the control from the down position the hammer will stop. Then you just repeat the sequence.
The hammer does not have to be held vertically to work.

Hope this helps.
Fred

Topic author
tdukicz

Post #6 by tdukicz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Can anybody tell me exactly details about diverter (electromagnetic) valve that I need. If possible with some link attached. I have diverter valve with two spools but I have been told that it doesn't fit :/ ?

Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by Tillywolves » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:58 pm

I have the hammer lines fitted to my 3Cmk3. Dual pump fitted, and there is a diverter valve off the stabiliser leg circuit. What do you need to know.

I can post pictures if there is anything specific.

Topic author
tdukicz

Post #8 by tdukicz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi Tillywolwes, I want to know which type of diverter valve exactly I need because I already have one, posted picture in post ?
Thanks

Dirtyboots
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by Dirtyboots » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:17 am

Hi lads, just signed up on here and this is my first bash at forum stuff so forgive me if I mess up :brravo:

Fowler man, great reply and I think I'll have a go at that on my '84 JCB 3cx. However where I tee into the main boom will I just need an electo-magnetic solenoid type diverter valve?

I'm possibly going to try and run a bomford flail head off a hedge cutter on the back actor but not sure if it's got enough oil flow to power it, anyone tried before? It's a supertrim bomford. Got huge pipes to the hydraulic motor! Makes me think its thirsty

Cheers Ryan

Also I need a manual for this machine which I assume will be on here if I trawl through

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:44 am

I think one of the problems will be a drop in flow to the flail motor when operating a boom service. My old bomford hedger has twin pumps. Small one for the arm rams and large for the flail rotor.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”