Hymac 580 C Transmission Help

Discuss excavators here

Topic author
strontium90
Flag: Great Britain

Hymac 580 C Transmission Help

Post #1 by strontium90 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:31 am

I need some advice...I heard a lot of noise from the transmission on our Hymac 580 C.
After removing the track and drive chain I found the bearing, located in the frame housing (brake side) for the output shaft had disintegrated and the transfer pinion shaft and large output gear are wrecked.
I've removed output shaft but to remove transfer shaft, I need to:_

1) Remove plug, secured by circlip, located between Chain case and track motor....Workshop manual says to use "drawing Bolts" but I need to know thread size e.g. 1/2" UNF?
IMAG1312.jpg

2) remove bearing retainer located beneath Brake pulley...again, which size of drawing bolts required?
IMAG1315.jpg

3) Is there a part of the outer bearing race left in the housing in the frame in these pictures and how to remove them?
IMAG1309.jpg

Some more pics of the nightmare

363386_3S06GHZAWAAS01543853803.jpg

IMAG1308.jpg
IMAG1311.jpg
IMAG1314.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hymac 580 C Transmission Help

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:56 am

Alex this type of failure is not unknown on the 580 series of machines; bearings should be off the shelf, the gears should be available second hand from various sources, PM me if you get stuck, all the threads will be either UNF or UNC while I cannot tell you the exact threads just look and if it appears to be a coarse thread then it is UNC and a fine thread is UNF hope that helps.

Jeremy

Topic author
strontium90

Post #3 by strontium90 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Thanks..I'm away for a few days so won't be back till Monday..Will let u know how I get on..

Topic author
strontium90

Post #4 by strontium90 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:42 pm

I've got it stripped down despite the weather...plug came out with a bolt from the brake cover and the retainer just needed knocking round to loosen it..The bearing from the chain side on the transfer pinion was worn so I removed it too...the Outer race was stuck but used the aforementioned plug and an hydraulic jack to remove it
The transfer pinion was wrecked and the output gear which I'm waiting on delivery from Richard Gould, but the Christmas Post seems to be slowing things...
I've ordered the brake side output pinion gear too but I'm worried that my Hymac is the last model as it has the thicker cross tubes, so no welding, but does it have a thicker output shaft (it seems to be around 55mm for the bearing seat)
Are the bearings metric?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi Alex,

if your Hymac has a 'diamond' shaped plate welded to the front of the undercarriage where the tub joins the front cross tube then this is an early type undercarriage, the later one's did not have this extra plate welded on, hope that helps.

Jeremy

Topic author
strontium90

Post #6 by strontium90 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:58 pm

I hope someone can Help…
I ordered the parts from Richard Gould, Hymac Parts and Service on 11th December and have, to date, received nothing...I emailed on 18th for a tracking number (no reply) and phoned that evening...He phoned back and said the stuff had been posted that day (18th Dec)..Still nothing.
I don't want to give bad feed back but he should answer emails and provide tracking on larger, more valuable stuff
Is this guy ok?

As I paid through PayPal, I can enter a dispute with "Item Not Received" and get reimbursed as I did recently on an unrelated purchase from eBay...I want to give him a chance but there is a time limit so I will be forced to act soon...I would prefer if he just posted the stuff…

Maybe I'm getting old but I'm getting sick of buying things without holding them first...

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:54 pm

strontium90 wrote:I hope someone can Help…
I ordered the parts from Richard Gould, Hymac Parts and Service on 11th December and have, to date, received nothing...I emailed on 18th for a tracking number (no reply) and phoned that evening...He phoned back and said the stuff had been posted that day (18th Dec)..Still nothing.
I don't want to give bad feed back but he should answer emails and provide tracking on larger, more valuable stuff
Is this guy ok?

As I paid through PayPal, I can enter a dispute with "Item Not Received" and get reimbursed as I did recently on an unrelated purchase from eBay...I want to give him a chance but there is a time limit so I will be forced to act soon...I would prefer if he just posted the stuff…

Maybe I'm getting old but I'm getting sick of buying things without holding them first...

I have sent you a private message about this.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:09 am

I have bought and sold with Richard in the past, not always the fastest response and perhaps he is away?
I certain you will be sorted out in due course. I found Richard very straight to deal with.

Topic author
strontium90

Post #9 by strontium90 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks for your replies,,,,
I too am quite straight to deal with and if Richard Gould has a problem either sourcing the parts or is away or the like, he would find me quite understanding.

The bottom line is, however, that I need either the parts or a refund, forthwith (even proof of postage) as my machine is now exposed to the elements while he dithers.

It is simply unacceptable that he has lied to me on 2 occasions about sending the parts and providing me with tracking for said. He now refuses to answer emails which I know he can receive on his mobile phone. My patience is wearing wafer thin.

I am giving him every opportunity to be straight with me, but he is either unwilling or unable to do this. I am reluctant to take action but I will be forced to, so the ball is in his court, so to speak.

Beleive me, I would like nothing better than to receive the parts or a refund without the added hassle of a claim against him on the mouth of Christmas. Anyone in my shoes would feel the same.

I will update you as to my progress and hopefully there will be a happy ending without recourse to further action, Merry Christmas everyone,,,

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Alex, I would try and cover your open machine undercarriage with some tarpaulin sheet or the like, it's not ideal but better than nothing. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Excavators”