The way we were

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

brian

Re: The way we were

Post #411 by brian » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 pm

I've just read this thread from end to end and I have to say it's been one of the most entertaining reads for a long time. It would make a book in its own right. I cut my teeth on the old IH Drotts and still have a soft spot for them even though I haven't seen one working for over 30 years.. My uncle used to drive an NCK Andes (was that a 605?) for British Sugar at Spalding, and died in his 70's at the controls of a 22RB belonging to Wrights of Holbeach, and I often watched him operating during my brief stint at Spalding BSC factory. Some jobs a navy is still the best tool. Thanks for this thread to all who contributed.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #412 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:55 am

brian wrote:I've just read this thread from end to end and I have to say it's been one of the most entertaining reads for a long time. It would make a book in its own right. I cut my teeth on the old IH Drotts and still have a soft spot for them even though I haven't seen one working for over 30 years.. My uncle used to drive an NCK Andes (was that a 605?) for British Sugar at Spalding, and died in his 70's at the controls of a 22RB belonging to Wrights of Holbeach, and I often watched him operating during my brief stint at Spalding BSC factory. Some jobs a navy is still the best tool. Thanks for this thread to all who contributed.

Brian this is indeed an excellent thread with plenty of knowledge and pictures; there are many IH Drotts that are in preservation around the country sometimes you can get to see one working at some of the steam rally's where there is a working field or at events like Andrew Beaulah's, in fact there is also an NCK 605 crane at Andrew's I'm sure it's the 605 so pop along to the next working event. :thumbup:

Jeremy

brian

Post #413 by brian » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:03 pm

When is Andrew Beaulah's next event?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #414 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:41 pm

brian wrote:When is Andrew Beaulah's next event?

Hopefully the last Sunday in February weather permitting; details will be posted here in the events section prior to the event. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #415 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi,
I was looking at the World War One display at The Great Dorset yesterday and was reminded of this picture I have of a Clayton crawler pulling a Handley page O400 bomber.
My father was a pilot in the RFC and later in 100 squadron RAF. He flew these O400 night bombers and he always said the Dorman Powered Clayton tractors were a lot more reliable than the planes. :doh:
One hundred years on there is one of these Claytons in the "Arthur Hinch Collection" :o A 100 years old and it still runs and performs like last years model. :bow:
Here are some pics. I took a little while back.

Maybe those who say that the best machine Caterpillar ever made was "The Propaganda Machine" are right after all. :lol: :lol:
Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #416 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Nice one Fred :thumbup: I never realised that the wings folded back on the Handley Page 0400 bombers I thought that was for carrier borne aircraft only :P Never realised that Dorman was such an old company either; I do know that they also made air-cooled diesels some of which were fitted into Hymac 580BT machines used in the army.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #417 by essexpete » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:00 am

Thanks for an interesting post as ever Fred. Like Jeremy I did not realise the old HP bomber had folding wings. I guess it was to get undercover in limited hanger space?

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #418 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your replies. Yes the O 400 wings did fold as you say to get the planes into a hanger. With the 100 ft. wing span there would have been few clear span buildings capable of accommodating them at that time.

:offtopic: If anyone is interested here is a little more info. on the O 400. The wingspan as already mentioned was 100 ft. and overall length just short of 63 ft.
The prototype was developed using Sunbeam engines but those that went into service used the "Rolls Royce Eagle 8" which was a liquid cooled V12. Initially these produced 225 hp. but they were tweaked to 266hp. then to 284, 322 and by 1918 to 360 hp.
Each engine used 24 gallons, (90 Ltrs), per hour.

Top speed of the O 400 was 97 mph, (157 kph), opperating ceiling 8,500 ft. and rate of climb 23 minuits to 5,000 ft.

Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #419 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks Fred :bow: also off topic here but when you consider that the wings on the HP 0400 folded back you would have thought they would have come up with a similar idea for what was the much more modern Short Sterling which had a very short wingspan to permit it to fit into the hangers, this restricted the aircrafts ceiling and use for what was Britain's first four engine bomber, only us Brits could do that! :lol:

Jeremy

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #420 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:52 pm

Hi All,
Last weekend I went to an open day at Les Searles depot at Horsham. The day was arranged by the Link Club and I was with Whitlock 505, Lynx Man from CMN and two other friends.
It's some forty years since I last met Les Searle Senior when I went there to buy an equaliser spring for the Allis Chalmers 21P dozer I used to run. It was good to meet up again.
They certainly put on a good show and made us very welcome, pictures below starting with steam and vintage.

Now A few rellicks of a bygone age.
International TD 9 with Baker equipment.
TD14 with crane.
Case / Roadless Lifeboat tractor.
Marshall Gainsborough shovel / Blade.

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”