Unknown Aussie Dumper Lister ST2 4X4 What Is It???

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
robbyt8874
Flag: Australia

Unknown Aussie Dumper Lister ST2 4X4 What Is It???

Post #1 by robbyt8874 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

Found this site and found my sanity, because according to the Wife I'm the only one interested in this stuff...

Anyway, I acquired an old, unloved and heavily neglected Lister ST2 powered 4X4 dump truck. No idea what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTlJOcDZrzw

Good news is that I've got it working like a dream. Serviced, new fluids, new hoses, new hydraulic oil, greased, oiled, brakes adjusted, hand brake now working. It's the best powered wheelbarrow I've ever owned.

Trouble is, it's growing on me and I'd love to find out what it is. Any ideas? I'd love to find out!!

Thanks in advance for all who try to help :-)

Rob T
Sunshine Coast
Queensland.

cobbadog

Re: Unknown Aussie Dumper Lister ST2 4X4 What Is It???

Post #2 by cobbadog » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:34 am

What a great find. In some ways yours looks similar to mine a LINER but yours is 4wd. Under the gearbox cover you should find a tag on the top of the gearbox which is possibly a Coventry - Newage gearbox. Drain flush and refill the box as they can get a bit of crap inside form wear n tear. The diff should also have an oil change. I have a problem with my steering box and it wonders around the place too much so after the Yesteryear Truck show at Wauchope NSW just up the road from home I will strip the steering box down.
You have an electric start on your engine so that can be put back into action if you want and I have found the wiring diagram to do that but you will also need to put an alternator on to charge the battery again a diagram is available. Your decompression levers can be joined together by a simple flat bar and a couple of small BSF threaded bolts and nuts. Don't be too worried about the keyway for the pawl to engage when crank starting, they are very forgiving and just don't push the crank handle in as far and all will be good.
Have a look at our Dumpy it is a Liner Roughrider and yours could be a Benford or a Thwaites or one of so bloody many different makes. So it is a case of being patient and someone here will come to the rescue with some more detail. Our thread is titled Unknown make & model Dumper.
I used Google to search for a manual on the Lister engine and found the ST2 model manual which is close to being the same and is helpful. Also found a manual which covers the gearbox as mentioned and the brakes and diff.
You have scored well and now you can get your wife involved in the restoration. Fortunately my wife does get involved with our toys a lot to the point that she did most of the work in the engine rebuild of her tractor.
Cheers Cobba

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by XS650 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:29 pm

After a lot of googling :) I reckon it's a WINGET. Don't know which model but here is a pic of the 4B 2000 which shares many characteristics but maybe a later year . You are in luck because all the Winget old and new service manuals are on the Winget UK website.
Craig
Roberts dumper-
xxxUntitled.png

Winget 4B2000
xxxxx.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
robbyt8874

Post #4 by robbyt8874 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks for your response, Craig, I appreciate it.

You know what? I reckon you might be right. While the appearance is not exact, I did what you said and downloaded the manual. I must have an early model as some things are slightly different bit the chassis, gearbox, transfer box, skip, engine, hydraulics and rams are all depicted perfectly in the manual. Even some of the obvious mods that have been made align with bits that have been obviously hacked off!

So cheers for your help. When the landscaping is done I might just do a bit of a resto and make it nice again...

Rob T.

Bruceunderwood

Post #5 by Bruceunderwood » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:06 am

Rob,
You probably know,but your Lister engine is 1975 vintage - last two numbers of the engine number plus 1950. Also looks a bit like a Liner Roughrider, possibly a 1500 or 2000 series, worth a check around the web for their stuff. You can get workshop manual for the 2ST if you google about a bit, can't remember the exact site

Hope that helps a little

Bruce

Topic author
robbyt8874

Post #6 by robbyt8874 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 am

Hi and thanks to everyone who helped me identify what Dumpy is. Thanks to this site and all of your guidance I have established that Dumpy is a Winget Four/40E Diesel Dumper (40 CWT).

The tip to go to the Winget Website resulted in me looking through dozens of old manuals and eventually establishing exactly what model Dumpy is.

Thanks again, Gents.

So there you have it. The riddle is solved and I'm sure I'll sleep better for knowing!

:-)

Rob T.

cobbadog

Post #7 by cobbadog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:38 am

I Googled 2SR for our engine and got the 2ST version of the manual so it is out there and available for a free download. What would be the most likely difference between the 2SR and 2ST engines? HP?
Cheers Cobba

XS650

Post #8 by XS650 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Another satisfied customer :)
Craig

XS650

Post #9 by XS650 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:26 pm

There has been the exact same model for sale in Classic Plant and Machinery magazine for last two months.

Topic author
robbyt8874

Post #10 by robbyt8874 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:32 am

Hi everyone, I realise this post has been dormant for a while, but thought a little update might be appreciated. The guys at the Winget Factory in the UK have been awesome in helping me with identifying parts and also with guiding me in the restoration of my Winget Four/40. A lot of time and effort has gone into this project, and now Dumpy is looking rather a lot better than he was a year ago. New skip, new guards, new engine cover, painted, you name it he is basically a new machine! Here's a picture of progress to date, though I do still have a couple of little jobs to do. Thanks again for all who helped me to identify him.

Rob T.

Return to “Dumpers”