Thwaites 15cwt gearstick

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
freddyuk

Thwaites 15cwt gearstick

Post #1 by freddyuk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:30 am

On my little Thwaites the gearstick is cranked and points forwards thus it fouls the back of the bucket. Should it face the other way ie. backwards and how do I turn it round?
Also i am trying to get grease into the wheel kingpins without success. The steering is free but hard work. All the other ball joints have been greased except the one on the steering box (hard to get too). There is some wear in most of the joints but nothing dramatic. I am fitting proper 3 rib tyres to assist with steering which will help. Now it is running and I have working brakes steering is the next task to get working as well as possible.

essexpete

Re: Thwaites 15cwt gearstick

Post #2 by essexpete » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 pm

freddyuk wrote:On my little Thwaites the gearstick is cranked and points forwards thus it fouls the back of the bucket. Should it face the other way ie. backwards and how do I turn it round?
Also i am trying to get grease into the wheel kingpins without success. The steering is free but hard work. All the other ball joints have been greased except the one on the steering box (hard to get too). There is some wear in most of the joints but nothing dramatic. I am fitting proper 3 rib tyres to assist with steering which will help. Now it is running and I have working brakes steering is the next task to get working as well as possible.

I assume you have had the nipples out and cleaned out bas best possible? Could you run a small quantity of say ATF or light oil diesel mix around the top of the king pin to help free off any crud?
If you have off the top of the gearbox you will find the gear lever comes away with the top plate. It may have been put round 180 deg at some point by either mistake or perhaps due to wear? There will be a little spring and plate that may fall off the stick if the end is worn, be careful not to drop that down inside. Make sure the end of the stick goes back into the sectors properly. Similar plate here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gearbox-Gear ... 2181906146

Topic author
freddyuk

Post #3 by freddyuk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Thanks I also had suggestion to heat and bend the lever so if it is worn this would work too? Got to drain and check the box anyway.
I removed the nipples and cleaned out brown gunk and squirted in DBlock. Bottom ones will not have it! Top ones are slowly showing signs of grease but my gun joints are leaking first with the pressure.....

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 am

Definitely have the top of anyway to have a look as these old dumper gear boxes are prone to water ingress when stood. Mostly from the gear lever socket I think.

Return to “Dumpers”