Discuss large and small companies here.

Tony Chapman

Re: Richards and Wallington

Post #51 by Tony Chapman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:19 pm

does anybody rember my dad Billy chapman who drove for Richard and walingtons

68a

Post #52 by 68a » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Tony Chapman wrote:does anybody rember my dad Billy chapman who drove for Richard and walingtons

Tony Chapman of C@E spares?
I think I bought some D8 bull gears off you at the side of the M6 around Warrington 1990?.It was somebody called Tony Chapman or Steve Evil I think.The D8's were headed for Scotland later that week.It was around Christmas I think

Tony Chapman

Post #53 by Tony Chapman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:56 pm

yep that was me for sure long time ago now

Actionhilts
Flag: Great Britain

Post #54 by Actionhilts » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:48 pm

What happened to the Mack and low loader in the 60's.

denis carthy

Post #55 by denis carthy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Fairly sure that at one time they ran some D8s and scrapers - would have been mid-sixty's

Yes they did, I was on for them a few times, we tramped some 631's from either durham (A1M) or some road job jut north of Newcastle, we tramped them up to that Scots Blackwater dam near Blairgowrie. I was also on for them again at that reservoir very near Eastbourne, Arlington reservoir, overlooked from the hillside by that 'Long Man of Wilmington', 631's again.

mertrakron

Post #56 by mertrakron » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:43 am

Richards and Wellington used 4 631b,s and a d9g pusher to cut the Basingstoke ring road north section. That was 1967. All chalk with huge flints which tore up tyres no end. Add for watts tyres on those scrapers was on cover of muck shifter mag at that time. I have photos of them and the d9 and remember the drivers well but not names.
One driver was Australian guy. I was 15 then and got to ride on most of those units whilst giving school a miss!!which was often!!!
Also had ts14,s local operated by Rocon and a Euclid s7 owned by a firm called O’Donnell and Collicot ??
Will put pics up if I can
Ron

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #57 by Whitlock 505 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Roy Richards , the Richards part of Richards & Wallington founded the Motorcycle museum off the M42 by the NEC I believe, am I correct in saying he was also something to do with the ill fated Cosmos crane venture? My dad says he used to come down to the yard in Ipswich Road, Cardiff and say to the boys if they were on yard duty " do us a favour lads, give the car a quick wash" a real gent apparently

Ian

Raymondo48

Post #58 by Raymondo48 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 pm

message for ron rudd i started to work at richards and wallingtons in 1964 iam ray weaver in the main workshop you had the 3 bay where the tractors were repaired i was first matted up with dave ford there was also john edkins also young mick evens and rex hertage he and john edkins were both ex savle tractros ron radcliff was the JCB man i cav recall you starting on the dumper section the navy section was gary yeats billy gearry Jock Ritchi was then work shop manager with Ron Harris over navjs he like a lot of the crane Guys were ex greenhams plant kr Ray Weaver

modelman093

Post #59 by modelman093 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Just re-visited this RW thread and no one seems to have mentioned MLS / Mobile Lifting Services. I'm fairly certain there was a connection with either or both RW and BCHC. They had a depot just out of Dartford, Kent and the cranes were a sort of Khaki colour.
The Mack truck reminded me that when I started with Cat at the factory in Uddingston in the early 60s, there was a firm running Macks bring steel into the factory - think that they were called A1 Roadways

Raymondo48

Re: Ric to you kkrhards and Wallington

Post #60 by Raymondo48 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:08 pm

message for Jim Reed iam RayWeaver i can recall you takeing photos of my self and Dave Ford in the main workshop it was 2 0 am we were working a ghoaster on fitting new running gear on a D7 3T let me have your details and i will forward it on to you kr Ray Weaver

Return to “Companies”