1988 JCB 3xc 4WD Grey Cab

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Land Rover

Re: 1988 JCB 3xc 4WD Grey Cab

Post #11 by Land Rover » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:53 am

topkit wrote:The gearstick is the same on mine too and it was on my old 2wd 3cx that i had a few years ago, i use mine aounfpd our place in 1st and mainly 2nd gear, i spead a load of road plannings today as the rain has made the place like a bog. Exhaust flap is going on mine next week, i also teated mine to a pressure clean this afternoon as it was green with algie so no its yellow again, i even did inside the cab which came up well as soon as spring hits us and it warms up i will be respraying as per the norm when i get a digger.

How do you get on scooping the planings up with the front bucket ?. Do you really have to ram the bucket into the pile ?.
Are you also rolling the planings or just driving over them when finished .
Like you , I've been doing a fair bit of it lately .

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by topkit » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:06 pm

When i am loading plannings i just drive into them then lift slightly and roll back the bucket i get a good full loade everytime, when i a laying them i tend to enpty one full bucket load so i have a pile of them then i get a second bucket load which i slowly let out of the 4in1 just open the lam as you are reversing, this gives me a reasonable level then when i have done a section i go up to the original pile that i emptied out and i then drag it backwards using the back of the bucket until these are no more plannings being dragged back, it gives you a nice level surface, you can then go back over everything using the base on then bucket which flattens them down,

Land Rover

Post #13 by Land Rover » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:19 am

Topkit ,
thanks for that .
I haven't done too much more than fill in pot holes with planings , but I have done roughly similar with type 1 etc .
I think my pile of planings has been left too long to scoop up easily , I'll maybe use the back actor to loosen them up a bit .
I must also be a bit tight :D
I try to get about a year out of a 16 ton pile :(

topkit

Post #14 by topkit » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:12 pm

My road plannings were a bit solid, if you drive in with the front bucket but don't try and take to many plannings then raise and tip what you have ou on the top of the pile and repeat they will loosen up for you, i have also got a rake that came with another 3CX which is quite useful for loosening and sorting them, i would like to get a riddle bucket so i can sort the larger plannings from the smaller stuff. Wont be doing much today though its peeing down here in Kent. Another job i forgot to mention which is important to do on 3CX's is to drain the kingpost, on the underside of it is a large nut remove it and drain the oil and you will also get a sludge out along with water too, if it is really bad you will need to lush it through, i had one where i used a screw driver to get the sludge out, (maybe someone could recomend a flushing oil that you could use without damaging the seals in the slew pot) Then on the inside of the kingpost there is a nut that you undo this is the filling point, the rule is to fill it but not quite to the top leave about the height of your thumbnail the oil you use is EP90 the do the nut back up. Finally on the extending dipper do not grease it JCB recomment using waxoil on the slides. :thumbup:

Topic author
NorthStar

1988 JCB 3xc 4WD Grey Cab strip

Post #15 by NorthStar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Ok Iv strip the cab of everything from the dash and all the control column so I could get the floor carpet out and at the same time will replace the seals in the brake cylinders and the windscreen washer pipe will be renewed.
There was much dirt under the carpet and Im pleased I took it out.
I might put the old one back or put another underneath the old one. Has anyone done this or even put a new mat down? can you buy them ready made.
Will also wire wheel the floor patch up one or two miner holes with new plate then wire wheel the floor and paint with red oxy.
Im also going to buy a new seat as the old one is not very nice ore in good condition? Any Ideas on seats?

O seen somewhere one of you mentioned what fluid to use in the brake system?

topkit

Post #16 by topkit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:33 pm

Yes those master cylinders are a pain to do, i did a 1994 project 8 last year, the fluid that you need is light mineral oil. Once you have done the pedal master cylinders and fillled the resevoir up you will need to bleed the brakes though, The bleed nipples are on the top if the axle one on each side, it took me a good afternoon to bleed it all but boy that machine had a real set of brakes afterwards. You should also drain the back axle oil and refill with fresh oil as the brakes are in board in the axle.

Topic author
NorthStar

Post #17 by NorthStar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks Topkit iv never done a jcb cylinders but Iv done David Brown 995 in the past so will have some idea on how to do it. should be a lot easier with the dash out the way so will get that done next week.
ok will give the rear axle an oil change to, is there some specific oil I should use.

topkit

Post #18 by topkit » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 am

I usually get my oil from JCB as the local depot is close by, i think it's JCB special gear oil that i used in the back axle and its just a light minetal or 10 grsde hydraulic oil that is used for the brakes, also if you drain the kingpost you need to refill with EP 90 oil, i have got mine in bits at the moment as it was leaking.

Topic author
NorthStar

Post #19 by NorthStar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 am

ok thanks a lot for your help again will be in my local jcb dealer on Monday

Topic author
NorthStar

Post #20 by NorthStar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi can any one tel me what this warning light is?
Just seen on the photo I posted that the gage on the left has the same symbol :D

Did some work on the cab last week and took the dash completely apart and took the old rubber flooring out to find a good amount of soil, oil, water and some rust. But only two small patches were necessary. with a good clean and some paint and copying the old mat on to new thicker stuff made huge different.
After putting everything back together (I did label all the wiring connection) everything was fine until tonight when i was going to park her up for three weeks while I go on holiday. I only started her for one min then this light came on?? Im just hoping its a wiring thats come loose.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”