New to me 1980? JCB 3C III

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

essexpete

Re: New to me 1980? JCB 3C III

Post #11 by essexpete » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 pm

You are right there Paul. The old BSP with the inner male and female cones are a piece of cake to start compared with the sodding metric things on my NH (Manitou) telehandler. Just changed 2 hoses and had to remove all the others from the spool block just to get on them.

Topic author
06DIESEL
Flag: United States of America

Post #12 by 06DIESEL » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:06 am

I have found some BSP ends online for not too bad of a price compared to locally. I also was able to locate the sight tube for the hydraulic fluid. Just as I suspected, when the machine got a quick shot of paint they painted directly over the tube. I will be putting a new clear tube on it the next time it is low so that I can keep an eye on it.

I am having issues with the dealer and parts suppliers trying to figure out what parts to use to make the repairs to the rear end as well as the brakes. Apparently my tag is missing a digit for the serial number, or something like that. I am trying to sort that out now. Does anyone have a part number book for these machines. I looked on the downloads and did not see a part number book, just the service manual but it does not show part numbers.

Topic author
06DIESEL

Post #13 by 06DIESEL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:26 pm

I tried to use it to dig for some trees earlier this week. I have not fixed the rear end yet, just was using the hoe to push/pull me around. That was a mistake as my property has a good slope to it and I found out that one of the brakes does not work at all, the left side when sitting on the seat facing forward. I am going to have to figure out if it is just in need of adjustment or if there is something wrong with it, either locked up or all material gone. It does not make any noise on that side, nor have resistance on the petal. The right side has some resistance, and it sounds like metal on metal when you are trying to stop when moving but will slow you down and stop you without too much issue, as long as you plan on turning right...

I also discovered a fairly substantial hydraulic leak around the area that the rollers are to move the hoe left or right on the frame. It is not coming from a hose that i can see, I think it might be from the rollers. Are these typical issue locations? Can I just disconnect the hydraulic hose going into them and couple them together temporarily till I can get it fixed?

Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Post #14 by Tillywolves » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Is it leaking from the plate on top of the slew assembly ? Mine was bent out of shape, and was full of water underneath.

What do you mean by rollers ? Can you post a picture. As for the hoses, just measure them up and take them to a hose supplier to make new ones up for you. If you can, remove them so they can see what you need.

Topic author
06DIESEL

Post #15 by 06DIESEL » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:54 pm

The red arrow shows the front of where I think the leak is, although this is not a picture of my machine, just a google image of the area.

essexpete

Post #16 by essexpete » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 pm

That is the hydra clamp that hydraulically clamps the bolt on the cross rail. As a short term fix you can bi pass one clamp. The seals are (or at least were) quite cheap from JCB and quite easy to change providing the bolt is not seized. BTW the clamps are pressurised by operating a service unless the valve to the clamps is switched. So I guess to get out of trouble you could shift the clamp lever to depressurise.

Brake wise the oil immersed brakes on our old Powertrain always grumbled even with heavy duty JCB oil. The absence of a brake may be an internal leak or is a pipe damaged? Perhaps you can bleed the brakes and see if you get a pedal. Do you have any pedal if you pump the brake hard?

Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Post #17 by Tillywolves » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:50 am

Hydraclamp and seal. It it coming from the seal, or the hydraulic pipe ? You can just get an inline connector and link out the leaking clamp if its losing a lot of fluid.

Topic author
06DIESEL

Post #18 by 06DIESEL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:42 pm

No pedal even when pumping on the left side. Slight pedal on the right side, and that is the only side that works, kinda.

I will have to get a inline connector to shut down one of the clamps at a time to find the culprit, or culprits. The leak is substantial, but I do not run the machine much since I still have not fixed the rear so I can not drive it.

harry
Flag: Belgium

Post #19 by harry » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 pm

You can use the nipples in the housing as inline connectors for the hoses .

Topic author
06DIESEL

Post #20 by 06DIESEL » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:41 pm

I am going to get back to working on this machine here in August hopefully, I have several projects backing up that I need the backhoe for. I just need to justify the cost of the repairs to the wife vs renting a machine for the weekend, which should be easy enough.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”