RAF Folkingham

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
3CMK1
Flag: Great Britain

RAF Folkingham

Post #1 by 3CMK1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi Guys
Anyone know anything about this place, all I have been able to find is that this old RAF base in Folkingham Lincoln is used by Nelson M Green for overspill at their yard.

There look to be hundreds if not thousands of old machines up there.
http://www.lincolnshireautomeets.co.uk/gallery/album82

This is one album I found but if you google 'JCB Graveyard' it should be a few results. Alot of the other pics I have found are taken by photographers who arn't really machinery enthusiasts.

Also http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=raf%20folkingham&oq=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Zoom in on point B to see the shear size of this place

Its about 10 miles SE of Grantham I may take a ride up there but want to know if anyone knows more about it before I do

Cheers Jason
:mrgreen:

Martyn Henley

Re: RAF Folkingham

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Blimey Jason, what an incredible place, shame the satellite did not zoom in clearer .. there is stuff there dating back to the second world war even .. great find Jason :thumbup:

Try this ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-zM4J81-E

Martyn

XS650

Post #3 by XS650 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Good info :thumbup: , seen many pics on web but no location, amazing this lot hasn't being weighed in for scrap ,specially when it was £150 a ton.
Nelson M. Green website ....
Nelson M Green and Sons
The largest stockist of secondhand crawlers and spares in the UK

http://www.nelsongreen.com/admin/run.cg ... elsongreen
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
3CMK1

Post #4 by 3CMK1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm

It looks like an incredible place. wheather permitting I may take a drive down there in the week just to have a look and get some pictures. The one thing that goes through my mind is ... how? there must be thousands of machines sat there.

Like Craig said £150 a ton for scrap, sentimental value goes out of the window. Millions of pounds worth there!

Gordon Wil

Post #5 by Gordon Wil » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi, Just been to look at this base, only 6miles from me. Only vantage point other than the main gate which although you can see them in distance not bril. But there's a forestry walk on the edge of the fence. Keeping the base on the right, goes around to the end of the runway where a view down the runway is possible. I did not go as wellies are required. Their is also old plant parked in the forest as well. The pics are from the gate 300mm lens. Sign says no entry and 24hr security. Hope this helps those that may be interested?
Regards Gordon W
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jasonfisher

Post #6 by jasonfisher » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Hasnt been used by the RAF since early 60s, was used as a missile base after the war. Thats some collection of plant, even some amphi-cars

martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 pm

I contacted Stepen Green a few years ago about tracks for a BTD6 Drott.They seem to have a large amount of machines there along with lots of spares.
One thing that still sticks in my mind that makes me laugh to this day.I think I spoke to Nelson Green years ago,I asked him how much a track chain for a drott would cost,I said I only needed one as the other one I had had plenty of life left in it.
He said to me " you would not go into a shoe shop and just buy one shoe would you " :lol:
Martyn

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”