Classic Working Pics 50s 60s 70s

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Classic Working Pics 50s 60s 70s

Post #161 by XS650 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks Jeremy ,maybe my bad English but what I meant is H&S is better these days ! But in some cases we have gone too far the other way.

However deaths in the workplace are thankfully much less prevalent these days and if there is one there is rightfully hell to pay.
So I am tended to think that the over regulation is worth it .

Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #162 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:40 pm

XS650 wrote:Thanks Jeremy ,maybe my bad English but what I meant is H&S is better these days ! But in some cases we have gone too far the other way.

However deaths in the workplace are thankfully much less prevalent these days and if there is one there is rightfully hell to pay.
So I am tended to think that the over regulation is worth it .

Craig

It is good that there are less workplace deaths but by the same token it has sadly become a blame game instead of saying what happened and how can we prevent the same tragedy happening again? Still must confess I love the old pics with out the hi-vis n hard hat. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
XS650

Post #163 by XS650 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:13 pm

Oh yes, better safety probably more to do with lawyers than anything else ! :)

The dapper chap driving the 951 in white shirt and flat cap has a bandage on his arm , certainly would not get me driving a no cab Drott on demolition work with just a flat cap on !

Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

topkit

Post #164 by topkit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 pm

Great set of pics there just as i remember things as a 5 -8 year old lad being fascinated by machines and spending hours watching them even getting to sit in the seat especially on old 3c mk1's and Massey's. Love that little Massey backhoe loader with the luxury cab for the loader and seperate one for the backhoe. :gooodpost:

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #165 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:01 pm

It is funny how as a younger Paul I always thought having a cab would be flash but once I got one on a loader I was surprised just how much I couldn't see

H&S or OH&S as we call it out here has changed the whole land scape for ever, gone are the days of men in just stubbie shorts and sun tans

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Mrsmackpaul

Post #166 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:37 am

In the same time frame as this thread, is a short film from the land down under

This is how I remember things been, back in the days when smoking was still good for you and men were tough and pansies were few and far between

https://youtu.be/zqI71pTjBgo

Paul

Jeremy Rowland

Post #167 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:06 am

Mrsmackpaul wrote:In the same time frame as this thread, is a short film from the land down under

This is how I remember things been, back in the days when smoking was still good for you and men were tough and pansies were few and far between

https://youtu.be/zqI71pTjBgo

Paul

Paul I much prefer the good old days although technology has advanced I think that society in general has moved backwards because of OTT H&S laws if any operator was to let a kid sit in a machine cab he would be in big trouble, destroying enthusiasm is not the way forward. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul

Post #168 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 am

We have discussed this very thing among like minded and I guess aged people

I am unsure how up and coming operators get experience these days as everything seems to be a short corse and you are good to go were as up and coming operators started while still at school hanging around work shops, sweeping floors, going with their Dad for the day etc and even when they first started operating gear it was on something basic and slowly worked up to more complex things

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #169 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks Craig for posting two brilliant sets of pics. :thumbup: Keep them coming. :!:
No, that's not "Fred" on the Cat though it may well have been as I ran a couple of them at one time. :lol:

Fred

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #170 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Mrsmackpaul wrote:We have discussed this very thing among like minded and I guess aged people

I am unsure how up and coming operators get experience these days as everything seems to be a short corse and you are good to go were as up and coming operators started while still at school hanging around work shops, sweeping floors, going with their Dad for the day etc and even when they first started operating gear it was on something basic and slowly worked up to more complex things

Yes Paul,
Regulations have spoiled the industry and made it very difficult for youngsters motivated to have a go to fulfil their aspirations.
It's really sad.

Fred

Edit here to add a couple of pics from the good old days when regulations were still a future curse and one of my sons had a great time, (age fifteen), during the school holidays learning to drive one of the Challengers on a job in the river Usk.
As far as Health and safety was concerned I would never have put them at risk :!: :!:
Last edited by FOWLER MAN on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”