Mystery Machines

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Mystery Machines

Post #51 by tctractors » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Martyn, I have asked the "steaming demon" if she could dig out a few pic's of the 2 wheeled bits of iron that did'nt need pedal power?? they range from a B.S.A. Dandy moped thing your Gran might have piloted? through B.S.A. A10's and A65's none cost more than £45 pounds, I used to take young ladys (I was also young) up the M5 Motorway (2 Lane un-lit) to the Stensham service station run by the Kennings group, there was a foot bridge connecting the north and south sides then, anyhow I used to open up the old BSA's to around the 85 mph mark (and tell em it was a Ton) then buy them egg and chips with a mug of tea, then flog the old B.S.A. back down the M5 often finding myself giving the lass a " tow with a straight bar" when we stopped in a few well chosen spots, all the speed and noise (and oil leaks) seemed to do a lot better than a box of choc's, the last 2 bikes I owned was an XV 750 Yamaha that I realy liked and the Harley 1200 sportster 5 speed rubber band thing, the majic of speed and noise never seemed to have the same efect on my Wife, as she would thump me in the side saying I was going to fast.

gah1950
Flag: Wales

Post #52 by gah1950 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:58 pm

tctractors wrote:Martyn, I have asked the "steaming demon" if she could dig out a few pic's of the 2 wheeled bits of iron that did'nt need pedal power?? they range from a B.S.A. Dandy moped thing your Gran might have piloted? through B.S.A. A10's and A65's none cost more than £45 pounds, I used to take young ladys (I was also young) up the M5 Motorway (2 Lane un-lit) to the Stensham service station run by the Kennings group, there was a foot bridge connecting the north and south sides then, anyhow I used to open up the old BSA's to around the 85 mph mark (and tell em it was a Ton) then buy them egg and chips with a mug of tea, then flog the old B.S.A. back down the M5 often finding myself giving the lass a " tow with a straight bar" when we stopped in a few well chosen spots, all the speed and noise (and oil leaks) seemed to do a lot better than a box of choc's, the last 2 bikes I owned was an XV 750 Yamaha that I realy liked and the Harley 1200 sportster 5 speed rubber band thing, the majic of speed and noise never seemed to have the same efect on my Wife, as she would thump me in the side saying I was going to fast.

hello tony,
steady on old chap your giving the game away mentioning kennings,i too can remember around 1960/61 on the north bound long before the M5 south was built an old scammell 6 wheeler wrecker parked there ,it was kept busy as the M5 in those days connected to the M50 by means of a 360 degree bend part of the carrigeway is the ab load bay ,there was allways something lying on its side there. :) graham.

tctractors

Post #53 by tctractors » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:57 am

Hi Graham, they also had a Guy Big J with a Cummins, the Scammell was the regular Wrecker though, some years later all my imediate family moved up to Stensham Village to live, we had 4 house's plus a field there and must say it was a great little Hamlet to live in, we moved out just before the 3rd lane was poked through but Strensham does have some good memorys for me.
on the 2 wheeled front my wife came to the Welland show on the Saterday for a couple of hours, when walking around the Motor Bike area she spotted a Bonneville with the Delta head in Cafe Race style, that is clip-ons rearsets and big tank etc and said those majic words, Why dont you get another one of these? I never had a Bonneville but it shows she might be thinking about the things we used to get upto 35 years ago ;) :D

gah1950
Flag: Wales

Post #54 by gah1950 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:02 pm

tctractors wrote:Hi Graham, they also had a Guy Big J with a Cummins, the Scammell was the regular Wrecker though, some years later all my imediate family moved up to Stensham Village to live, we had 4 house's plus a field there and must say it was a great little Hamlet to live in, we moved out just before the 3rd lane was poked through but Strensham does have some good memorys for me.
on the 2 wheeled front my wife came to the Welland show on the Saterday for a couple of hours, when walking around the Motor Bike area she spotted a Bonneville with the Delta head in Cafe Race style, that is clip-ons rearsets and big tank etc and said those majic words, Why dont you get another one of these? I never had a Bonneville but it shows she might be thinking about the things we used to get upto 35 years ago ;) :D

hello tony,
glad you remembered the scammell,it was i think in kennings blue,when i was off school for a jolly to brum my uncle could,nt pass strensham without having his tea and toast,there was always a big tin of marmalade on the counter as well,and it was free of charge,if you want your marmalade today you will pay up to 60 pence for a small tub, the good ole days.
graham.

Topic author
XS650

Post #55 by XS650 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:59 am

Another mystery dumper , 1961 pic , anyone any ideas ?-
mystery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Ian Fletcher1970

Post #56 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:22 pm

Early Readymix Lorry Craig :think:

Topic author
XS650

Post #57 by XS650 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:47 am

Yes its a Commer QX from the Rapier Truck Mixer film , I think the dumper is one of the rare Road Machines Drayton Ltd models. Can only find one poor pic of it.
29.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tonybrigenja

Post #58 by tonybrigenja » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:55 am

These are vary old technologies,but somewhere it currently used.

Deas Plant

Post #59 by Deas Plant » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:15 am

Hi, Folks.
Int'restin' foters - and conjectures. To turn the thread back a bit, I suspect that the loader in the early 'foters' would have been an AC HD6G. The HD5, 7 10 and 14 were all GM-powered and all had flat hoods over the engines. The smaller AC's didn't get the up-sloping hoods until they started fitting Buda (later bought out by AC and changed to AC name) engines with the HD 6, 11, 16 and 21. The HD9, 15, 19 and 20 all had the up-sloping hood but still had the GM donks, 71 series for the 'smaller' ones and the 6-110 series for the HD20.

IIRC.

Just my 0.02.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Topic author
XS650

Post #60 by XS650 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:08 am

Anyone know what make/model this Taylor Woodrow crawler crane is ?
47 MB could be model number ?
Craig
CRANE 1.jpg

CRANE2.jpg

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”